Why do Hindus burn their dead? I have participated in protests where
effigies symbolising somebody whom we are protesting against are burnt.
Burning somebody in public is an act of rejection. Why do you reject your
loved ones after they are dead? And for that you have to cut a tree and
increase emissions for climate change. If you bury the dead, the earth will
gladly accept the body so long as your body is not filled with plastic or
synthetic substances. If you are buried, you can even contribute to the
fertility of the soil. Just imagine the madness of burning millions of
people who die. Life can become a hazard. But why should death be? Both the
rivers of Ganga and Yamuna have been polluted with half burnt and un-burnt
dead bodies. Such water from Ganga is also collected and marketed as
`prasad’ or holy water for drinking in different places in India. There is
a Hindu sect of saints who wait for the half burnt dead bodies which float
on Ganga. They collect these bodies, cook them and eat them. That is
understandable. At least, your dead body is used as food for somebody and
you become useful to others after your death, if not in your own lifetime.
But a human body takes so much of time to evolve and in the end, it should
take time to merge with the earth in a most natural manner. Burning does
not help that process. I do not want my body to be burnt after my death. I
would like my body to be buried. But the problem is that I do not possess
six feet of land so that my body can be buried. The Adivasis in Waynad have
had similar difficulties. Since they do not possess the land to bury their
ancestors, many of them have to dig up their kitchen and bury the dead in
their kitchen. I do not think my landlord will allow that. I have paid my
rent so far, but my kitchen is on second floor. And if anybody tries to
bury my body under the floor of my kitchen, my dead body will fall down to
the bedroom of the tenants on the first floor. So my real worry at the
moment is: What the hell should I do with my dead body?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to