https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blogs/ronojay-sens-blog/todays-party-political-narratives-do-not-capture-the-different-shades-of-sardar-patels-politics/?fbclid=IwAR0ddA6i6B7HEaNvNESOcCpC1iMpTfyn_eHls7Ij3mvVtK322m7QOgmfKhY

Today’s party political narratives do not capture the different shades of
Sardar Patel’s politics

November 3, 2018, 2:00 AM IST

Ronojoy Sen in Extra Cover | Edit Page, India | TOI

The giant statue of Vallabhbhai Patel, built at an astronomical cost of Rs
2,900 crore ($430 million) and inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
on Wednesday, has been dubbed the Statue of Unity. Patel has a well
deserved reputation for getting the 560 odd princely states in 1947 to join
the Indian Union. That is the narrative that Modi has stressed in his piece
on Patel, published in several media outlets, as well as in many speeches,
including his monthly radio address.

Unsurprisingly, the different shades of Patel’s politics, in the immediate
aftermath of independence, have been brushed under the carpet in this
narrative of Patel as the great unifier. There are at least three other
critical aspects to Patel’s political career between 1947 and 1949.

One was the tense relationship between Patel and Nehru, with Patel
accepting that Nehru was the more acceptable and popular leader. In
December 1947, Nehru and Patel traded letters on the handling of Kashmir
and both threatened resignation. With Gandhi playing arbiter Patel,
however, wrote in January 1948: “If anybody has to go, it should be myself.
I have long passed the age of active service.” Later that year Patel would
tell a journalist, when he and Nehru were mobbed in Bombay, “They come for
Jawahar, not for me.” Following Gandhi’s death though, Patel spoke
eloquently to Congress members about his relationship with Nehru: “For over
a quarter of a century, both of us sat at the feet of our master and
struggled together for the freedom of India. It is unthinkable today, when
the Mahatma is no more, that we would quarrel.”

Second, if the Patel-Nehru relationship was vexed, so on occasion was the
one between Patel and Gandhi. In 1946, Gandhi had accused Patel of making
“inflammatory” speeches and playing to the gallery, something that was
denied by Patel. Their relations were more severely tested during Gandhi’s
stand in 1947-48 that Rs 55 crore be transferred to Pakistan as its share
of undivided India’s assets. Patel was vehemently against this idea and had
then said, “In the decision of assets we treated Pakistan generously. But
obviously we cannot tolerate even a pie being spent for making bullets to
be shot at us.” But Patel had to reluctantly agree to release the money in
the face of Gandhi’s fast in January 1948. Despite their disagreements,
Patel in one of his last speeches in 1950 referred to himself as a loyal
soldier of “Bapu’s army.”

Three, Patel’s conduct both before and after Gandhi’s assassination is
worth revisiting. While the Kapur Commission of Enquiry into Gandhi’s
assassination found widespread police incompetence, Patel as home minister
had ordered increased security for the Mahatma in the days before the
killing. Patel had even requested Gandhi, following a bomb throwing
incident, for permission to search people coming to either meet Gandhi or
attend prayer meetings at Birla House. However, Gandhi refused Patel’s
request. Later, Patel said, “After the bomb incident, there was a police
officer in almost every room. I knew Mahatma Gandhi did not like it and he
had several arguments with me.”

Though both Patel and Nehru agreed to ban RSS in the wake of Gandhi’s
assassination, they were not in agreement on the dangers posed by RSS.
While Patel believed that RSS was “indulging in dangerous activities,” he
disagreed with Nehru on RSS’s role in Gandhi’s assassination. He wrote to
Nehru in February 1948 that it was a “fanatical wing of the Hindu
Mahasabha” that had planned the conspiracy to kill Gandhi. Patel and Nehru
differed too on the nature of RSS and how long it should be banned.
Eventually, Patel imposed certain conditions on RSS, such as giving up
violence, restricting itself to cultural activities and professing loyalty
to India’s Constitution, before lifting the ban.

BJP’s current attempts to appropriate Patel, a loyal Congressman to the
end, has been helped by Congress’s neglect of Patel and his legacy. While
the statue of Patel is a colossal waste of public funds, it at least brings
some welcome attention to Patel. However, by literally putting Patel on a
pedestal, BJP risks reducing him to a caricature to be only used for
political gains.

--
Peace Is Doable