[《In the letter, written in his native German, Einstein takes issue with
the belief in God.

"The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human
weaknesses," he writes. "The Bible a collection of venerable but still
rather primitive legends."

It continues: "No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can [for me] change
anything about this."》

The English translation of the portion of the hand-written letter in German
dealing with the notion of God is as under:

<<***The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of
human weaknesses*** [emphasis added], ***the Bible a collection of
honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty
childish*** [emphasis added]. ***No interpretation no matter how subtle can
(for me) change this*** [emphasis added]. These subtilised interpretations
are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do
with the original text. For me ***the Jewish religion like all other
religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions*** [emphasis
added]. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose
mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all
other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than
other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a
lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.

In general I find it painful that you claim a privileged position and try
to defend it by two walls of pride, an external one as a man and an
internal one as a Jew. As a man you claim, so to speak, a dispensation from
causality otherwise accepted, as a Jew the privilege of monotheism. But a
limited causality is no longer a causality at all, as our wonderful Spinoza
recognized with all incision, probably as the first one. And the animistic
interpretations of the religions of nature are in principle not annulled by
monopolization. With such walls we can only attain a certain
self-deception, but our moral efforts are not furthered by them. On the
contrary.>>

(Ref.: <https://my3.my.umbc.edu/groups/archive/discussions/5472>.)]

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46438116?fbclid=IwAR2mnrNtJ4yacgavD2cDW47CnAnhUkcgk2MWBbzIEmwMlG_7CniODaBXs7U

Albert Einstein's 'God letter' sells for $2.9m

Image copyrightREUTERS
Image caption
The letter is regarded as a clear statement of Einstein's religious beliefs

A handwritten letter by Albert Einstein in which he grapples with the
concept of religion has smashed predictions and sold for nearly $2.9m
(£2.3m).

The so-called "God letter" was written in 1954 and was expected to fetch
$1.5m (£1.2m) at auction in New York.

The Nobel Prize-winning scientist, then 74, wrote the one-and-a-half page
note to German philosopher Eric Gutkind in response to one of his works.

It is seen as a key statement in the debate between science and religion.

"This remarkably candid, private letter was written a year before
Einstein's death and remains the most fully articulated expression of his
religious and philosophical views," a statement from Christie's says.

It fetched almost double the auction house's predicted price of between
$1m-1.5m.

What you may not know about Einstein
In the letter, written in his native German, Einstein takes issue with the
belief in God.

"The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human
weaknesses," he writes. "The Bible a collection of venerable but still
rather primitive legends."

It continues: "No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can [for me] change
anything about this."

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image caption
Albert Einstein pictured around the time he wrote the so-called "God letter"

The physicist also muses on his own Jewish identity, writing that it is
"like all other religions, an incarnation of primitive superstition".

"The Jewish people to whom I gladly belong, and in whose mentality I feel
profoundly anchored, still for me does not have any different kind of
dignity from all other peoples," he writes.

Einstein's quirky habits
The strange afterlife of Einstein's brain
It is not the first time Einstein's letters have been put up for auction.

Last year, a note written to an Italian chemistry student who had refused
to meet him sold for $6,100.

It was sold alongside a number of other letters from Einstein, including a
1928 note that went for $103,000, in which he set out his thoughts for his
third stage of the theory of relativity.

In 2017, a note in which he gave advice on happy living sold for $1.56m in
Jerusalem.

A single sentence, it reads: "A calm and humble life will bring more
happiness than the pursuit of success and the constant restlessness that
comes with it."

--
Peace Is Doable