[The decisive victory of the Modi-led BJP in the 2014 general election was
built around the following four main narratives.
I. There'd be an immediate and decisive end to revolting high-level
corruption.
Anna Hazare led agitation helped to make the issue of governmental
corruption one engaging keen national attention.
II. Black money stashed abroad, and also stacked within, would be brought
back to the benefit of the ordinary Indians.
III. "Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas" - the venerated "Gujarat model of
development", would be actualised nationwide.
The era of "policy paralysis" would be put to an end.
IV. Incitement to the hatred of the inimical and threatening "others",
greatly aided by the preceding episode of gory Muzaffarnagar violence.

This time round:
I. Modi has, if nothing else, lost his sheen as an anti-corruption warrior.
Particularly, in the wake of the ongoing Rafale scam.
II. No black money has been unearthed and put to benefit the poor.
III. The performance on the economic development front is, at best,
lacklustre.
The issue of joblessnes is engaging popular attention.
Agrarian distress and farmers' woes have turned into a very major issue.
Gujarat model of development: What is that!?
IV. The politics of "hate" has become far more ubiquitous than ever before.

The appeal to the "aspirational India", that had been one of the foremost
players during the last poll campaign, has hardly any taker this time.
It's certainly a saga of disappointment and heartbreak.

(For a detailed factual account, pls. look up: 'Modi’s Report Card:
Evaluating NDA’s Flagship Programmes In The Run-Up To 2019 Elections' at <
https://factchecker.in/modis-report-card-evaluating-ndas-flagship-programmes-in-the-run-up-to-2019-elections/
>.)

<<Nostalgia for a Hindu golden age, high-growth aspirations and a
razzmatazz Mr Fixit personality cult drew the middle class irresistibly
towards Modi in 2014. Yet over the last four years, the rise of an
old-style command and control economy, 1970s-type centralised government
and slowing growth has sat uncomfortably with that well-projected image,
creating many jilted lovers among erstwhile middle class adorers.

The love affair between Modi and the middle class has gone sour. The
romance began with his famous 2013 speech at Delhi’s Shri Ram College of
Commerce in which the then Gujarat CM spelt out his vision for a
turbo-charged economy through a business-oriented, Hindutva-laced
blitzkrieg.

That glitzy dream has petered out with rampaging joblessness and a return
to that creaky device of Old India: the caste quota. The quota is decidedly
non-aspirational — sign of a shrinking rather than expanding economic pie.
>From projecting hope and aspiration in 2014, the Modi persona today
projects povertarianism and victimhood. The ‘outsider’ who promised to
bring down the old Lutyens’ elite identified with a scam-ridden UPA, has
turned into the all-too-familiar votebank-focused neta.>>

(Excerpted from sl. no. I. below.)]

I/II.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blogs/bloody-mary/why-the-urban-middle-class-is-falling-out-of-love-with-modi/?fbclid=IwAR2yt7lRFKbnCvjz13DcatQA2moLIxyutX5DuCIlycSS-RTtqAHNwvxcdAg

Why the urban middle class is falling out of love with Modi

January 20, 2019, 2:27 AM IST

Sagarika Ghose in Bloody Mary | India, politics | TOI

Last week, a photograph of PM Narendra Modi with top Bollywood stars went
viral. Perhaps the photo sought to remind people that despite what the
doomsayers may say Modi still retains his aspirational celebrity image, an
image which has always been central to the ‘neo middle class’ or the newly
affluent and urbanised.

Nostalgia for a Hindu golden age, high-growth aspirations and a razzmatazz
Mr Fixit personality cult drew the middle class irresistibly towards Modi
in 2014. Yet over the last four years, the rise of an old-style command and
control economy, 1970s-type centralised government and slowing growth has
sat uncomfortably with that well-projected image, creating many jilted
lovers among erstwhile middle class adorers.

The love affair between Modi and the middle class has gone sour. The
romance began with his famous 2013 speech at Delhi’s Shri Ram College of
Commerce in which the then Gujarat CM spelt out his vision for a
turbo-charged economy through a business-oriented, Hindutva-laced
blitzkrieg.

That glitzy dream has petered out with rampaging joblessness and a return
to that creaky device of Old India: the caste quota. The quota is decidedly
non-aspirational — sign of a shrinking rather than expanding economic pie.
>From projecting hope and aspiration in 2014, the Modi persona today
projects povertarianism and victimhood. The ‘outsider’ who promised to
bring down the old Lutyens’ elite identified with a scam-ridden UPA, has
turned into the all-too-familiar votebank-focused neta.

The Modi slogan of ‘minimum government, maximum governance’ has been turned
on its head. Far from evoking the Hindu Ram Rajya — a state that upheld
justice but did not interfere in trade and business — the last four years
have seen massive state intervention in the economy through cattle trade
bans, demonetisation, attacks on businesses by street fighters loyal to
government ideology and an imperiously imposed GST. After the 2016
notebandi shock, the middle class found its cash being criminalised and
small businesses nearly crippled. The CMIE (Centre for Monitoring Indian
Economy) recently estimated a loss of 11 million jobs in 2018. The middle
class tends to have a high degree of anxiety about its economic future
unlike the super-rich who don’t need to worry about incomes and can afford
to wallow in Vedic Age fantasies.

State violence against citizens has increased. Sedition cases have been
slapped, NGOs have been raided, activists jailed under harsh laws, and
ideological enemies dubbed “urban naxals” or “anti-nationals”. The promised
war on corruption has not yielded votes in urban areas. Congress president
Rahul Gandhi is yet to establish the money trail in the Rafale deal but the
repeated chorus of ‘chowkidar chor hai’ has forced the PM into reactive
mode, having to summon up an entire ministerial battalion to defend his
government. Even though the charge of corruption may not stick, cronyism
has given the opposition a talking point. As defaulters Vijay Mallya and
Nirav Modi have fled under the watch of the chowkidar government, the
promise of sending all scam tainted to jail too has unravelled.

Middle class approbation is unpredictable. In 2009, Manmohan Singh and
‘Manmohanomics’ swept urban middle class areas buoyed by the Indo-US
nuclear deal. Just five years later the same middle class turfed him out.
The middle class revels in Hindu nostalgia when it involves a feel-good,
Bollywood-style, return-to-roots fiesta. But when the Hindutva campaign
leads to repeated violations of law and order or attacks on livelihoods,
leading to even the murder of a police officer (in Bulandshahr), the
pleasure trip begins to fade. In the recent assembly polls, urban support
for the BJP declined everywhere. The same SRCC where the clarion call for
New India was once sounded has today invited for its keynote address former
CBI chief Alok Verma, a trenchant Modi critic. Social media, once a saffron
domain, is now evenly balanced with memes and videos lampooning the PM and
the government.

The top-grossing Simmba, starring selfie taker Ranveer Singh, is a far
bigger hit than The Accidental Prime Minister, an attempted expose of the
Manmohan years, which failed to excite urban audiences. The ruling party’s
machinations to topple the opposition government in Karnataka have come a
cropper. None other than the Shiv Sena, an ally, has taken up the
‘chowkidar chor hai’ cry. Middle-class heroes Manmohan Singh and V P Singh
blazed brightly when they first appeared on the scene, but the romance
quickly turned sour because the middle class is quick to become
disillusioned. Modi as a populist nationalist may still be neta number one
when contrasted with a dynastical Congress ancien regime, but the ‘hero’ of
2014 has been put on notice: India’s fickle middle class falls in love
quickly, but falls out of love equally quickly.

II.
https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/across-the-aisle-taking-stock-at-beginning-of-year-5546643/?fbclid=IwAR0b0cZLzwmvDLGBw6e3WEkxEAbpventikWO6L6OQxjfiGlQPXa7sIqMvN0

Across the aisle: Taking stock at beginning of year
Four months from today, a new government will be in office (according to
the people’s verdict). Nothing that the present government will do between
now and April 30 will alter the state of the economy radically.

Written by P Chidambaram |

Updated: January 20, 2019 2:01:34 am

The government did not meet the targeted fiscal deficit (FD) last year and
is unlikely to meet the target of 3.3 per cent in 2018-19.
(Representational)

The Christmas-New Year-Pongal/Sankranthi holidays and festivities must have
rejuvenated the hard-working people of India (except members of Parliament
who were called to work during many of those days!). A new year effectively
began on January 15. I have a hunch that the year will mark a turning point
for the polity and the economy of the country.

Four months from today, a new government will be in office (according to
the people’s verdict). Nothing that the present government will do between
now and April 30 will alter the state of the economy radically. Hence, the
position at the beginning of 2019 is likely to be the position when the
next government takes office. So, let’s take stock of the economy.

Fiscal Stability

The two most commonly used indicators are worrisome. The government did not
meet the targeted fiscal deficit (FD) last year and is unlikely to meet the
target of 3.3 per cent in 2018-19. It is apparently falling short on net
direct tax collection and the Centre’s share of GST. It hopes to garner
some money by dipping into the GST compensation reserve, by
faux-disinvestment and by ‘persuading’ the governor of the RBI to part with
Rs 23,000 crore as interim dividend.

The current account deficit (CAD) is a lost battle. As against a CAD of 1.9
per cent of GDP in 2017-18, it will certainly be between 2.5 and 3.0 per
cent in 2018-19. Merchandise exports in December grew by only 0.34 per
cent, imports declined by 2.44 per cent, yet the trade deficit was USD
13.08 billion.

The next fiscal year will start with more debt and less foreign exchange
reserves.

Low Growth Rate

Demonetisation was on November 8, 2016, in the third quarter of 2016-17. In
the eleven quarters ending December 2016, the rate of growth of GDP had
been 7.7 per cent. The rate of growth in the subsequent seven quarters
ending September 2018 declined to 6.8 per cent. In the first half of
2018-19, the rate was 7.6 per cent but the CSO has estimated that in the
second half it will decline to 7 per cent.

The low growth rate is because of the low investment rate, especially by
the private sector. In the last three years, the rate of Gross Fixed
Capital Formation has been stagnant at 28.5 per cent, and it will be about
the same in 2018-19. The low growth rate is the main cause of lack of new
jobs. If we believe the CMIE numbers, there is not only growing
joblessness, 11 million jobs were lost in 2018. The current unemployment
rate is 7.3 per cent.

Farm Sector Distress

Every indicator of the agriculture sector underlines the distress faced by
farmers. The sectoral growth rate in the four NDA years has been -0.2, 0.6,
6.3 and 3.4 per cent. The Economic Survey 2017-18 admitted that, after four
years, ‘the level of real agricultural GDP and real agricultural incomes
has remained constant’. The anguished cry of the farmers reflects the
reality: wholesale prices of farm produce are depressed (latest example is
onion); MSP is a chimera and not available to most farmers; the crop
insurance scheme has robbed farmers and enriched the insurance companies;
MGNREGA is no longer demand-driven and is underfunded; gross capital
formation in agriculture was -14.6 per cent in 2015-16 and rose by 14.0 per
cent in 2016-17, meaning that it remained at the level of 2014-15; mounting
debt has crippled farmers, making farm loan waiver an imperative; and the
average monthly income of a farmer household of Rs 8,931captures their
poverty.

Industry and Exports

The way to become a middle-income developed country is through
industrialisation. Agriculture cannot sustain 45 per cent of the work
force; nor can it be the main source of livelihood for 60 per cent of the
population. It is industry and exports that will create jobs. Both are
languishing today. The Index of Industrial Production has remained between
122.6 in April 2018 and 126.4 in November 2018. Approximately 927 projects
are stalled, of which 674 are in the private sector. According to the CMIE,
investment intentions have declined from Rs 25,32,177 crore in 2010-11 to
Rs 10,80,974 crore in 2017-18. It seems that as far as the industry sector
is concerned, banks are unwilling to lend and promoters are unwilling to
borrow. Since April-June 2016, credit growth to industry has been
appallingly low. It was negative in four successive quarters and crossed 2
per cent only in two of the ten quarters.

The performance of exports is worse. Merchandise exports have not crossed
USD 311 billion in any of the NDA’s four years. Relative to the peak of USD
315 billion in 2013-14, the growth rate has been negative. Among the worst
hit during this period are the two job-creating sectors of ‘textiles &
allied products’ and ‘gems & jewellery’.

How the World Views India

The world has recognised India’s potential but is dismayed by the current
state of the economy. In 2018-19, up to January, FPI and FII have pulled out

Rs 94,259 crore, divided almost equally between equity and debt. The
sovereign bond rate on December 31, 2018, was 7.3 per cent. Evidently, the
boast of ‘fastest growing economy’ has few takers in the rest of the world.

We place our hope and trust in the government that the people will elect in
May 2019.
--
Peace Is Doable