[After loan waiver for the farmers in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and
Rajasthan comes the promise for basic income for poor.

Modi's response is asking the Supreme Court for land in Ayodhya for Ram
Temple (ref.: <
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/in-ayodhya-case-government-asks-supreme-court-to-allow-it-to-hand-over-part-of-land-that-is-not-unde-1984715?amp=1&fbclid=IwAR1pHU43I3NYRxHzrbVCK0ncQ5w-j5FgxPRMCvNum-SVE5uLk-6YzxYOJCw
>).

Of course, the "budget" will also play its role.]

I/II.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/rahul-gandhi-minimum-income-guarantee-congress-lok-sabha-elections-5558607/?fbclid=IwAR1ufAIcNsc-jfauJI2nOL3fEv1EcshameLte6r4bT_U_hQLObNze_hanWk

In Raipur, Rahul Gandhi’s poll promise: Vote me in, guarantee minimum income
The idea of a universal basic income has been discussed in policy circles
in India since former Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian highlighted
it in the Economic Survey two years ago.

Written by Dipankar Ghose | Raipur |

Updated: January 29, 2019 7:31:27 am

Congress president Rahul Gandhi with Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh
Baghel in Raipur on Monday. (PTI)

With  Lok Sabha elections just a few months away, Congress president Rahul
Gandhi Monday announced that if voted to power, his government would
provide a “minimum income guarantee to every poor person” in the country.

Addressing a large gathering at the Kisan Abhaar rally in Atal Nagar, Rahul
Gandhi said, “It is a historic decision. No government anywhere in the
world has taken such a decision. Only the Congress can do it. The Congress
party has decided that immediately after winning the 2019 elections, the
government will provide a guarantee for minimum income to every poor. This
means there will be a minimum income in the bank account of every poor
Indian. This means that nobody in India will stay hungry, or will be poor.”

The idea of a universal basic income has been discussed in policy circles
in India since former Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian highlighted
it in the Economic Survey two years ago. He had undertaken an elaborate
study and suggested that such a scheme — costing about 4.5-5 per cent of
the GDP — can be implemented if it were to replace all existing subsidies.

On Monday, much of Rahul’s speech revolved around the idea of India — one
of his party, and the other of the BJP. “One Hindustan is of Narendra Modi,
is of Anil Ambani, of Nirav Modi, of Mehul Choksi, of Vijay Mallya. They
keep you standing in line during notebandi. They steal your money and put
it in the pockets of Anil Ambani. They tell you that the country needs
defence, but take money from the Air Force and give it to Anil Ambani. So
the Congress party has taken a historic decision. And I am saying this not
just to the people of Chhattisgarh, but to the poor people of India. I am
saying it from this stage. Whatever I say, I do. Whether it is loan
waivers, whether it is the question of giving land back to farmers, whether
it is about giving the right price to farmers. I complete the promises I
make,” he said.

The Congress President said, “We gave a guarantee under MNREGA for 100 days
of work, gave the right to food (security). We gave the right to
information, which as a guarantee, opened the doors of the bureaucracy.
Now, a minimum income guarantee.”

Rahul also gave away symbolic loan waiver certificates to farmers from
Chhattisgarh. He praised the Bhupesh Baghel-led state government for
waiving short term loans of farmers worth Rs 6,000 crores from cooperative
and government banks, setting the price of paddy procurement at Rs 2,500,
and its decision to return land in Bastar earlier acquired for a Tata
Project which failed to get off the ground. “What the BJP couldn’t do in 15
years, the Congress did in two days.”

Rahul said there was no shortage of money. “Narendra Modi and the BJP want
to make two Hindustans. One Hindustan of the Rafale scam, of Anil Ambani,
of Mehul Choksi. In that Hindustan, whatever you want, you can get. You
want the Rafale contract? You will get it. You want land, you will get
that. You want water, you will get that too. The other Hindustan is the
Hindustan of the poor. Of the farmers and the youth. In that you will get
thing. In that you can only listen to Mann ki Baat. 24 hours Mann ki Baat,
Man ki Baat, Man ki Baat,” he said.

The Congress President, however, did not offer any details on the minimum
income guarantee, or the definition of poor. While the individual
income-tax exemption limit in India is Rs 2.5 lakh, in April 2009, the
Arjun Sengupta Committee had said about 836 million people, or 77% of
India’s population were living on less than Rs 20 per day at the end of
2004-05. A committee headed by Suresh Tendulkar had said that India’s
combined rural-urban poverty headcount ratio in 2004-05 stood at 37.2%,
with the poverty line at Rs 447 in rural areas and at Rs 579 in urban areas
based on consumption expenditure.

II.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/rahul-gandhi-minimum-income-guarantee-congress-party-upa-elections-2019-5558603/?fbclid=IwAR15w0M-AihdQXwAFmtaL8kqMfrJ6Tj5gQDOP2WzBRwJFfamnhBQZcVcQ_c

Minimum income promise: Party idea radical, marks return to UPA social
welfare politics
Congress leaders were quick to describe the idea of minimum income
guarantee a game changer. Chidambaram called Gandhi’s announcement historic
which will mark a turning point in the lives of the poor.

Written by Manoj C G | New Delhi |

Updated: January 29, 2019 9:08:10 am

Rahul Gandhi, minimum income gurantee, minimum income promise congress,
minimum income, lok sabha elections, elections 2019, elections 2019 rahul
gandhi, minimum income poll promise, rahul gandhi in chhattisgarh, indian
express, latest news
Rahul Gandhi may not have revealed the finer details of his promise of
providing minimum income guarantee to poor, but the Congress think tank
tasked with drawing up the party’s manifesto for the Lok Sabha elections
has been on the idea for some time. (File)
Rahul Gandhi’s promise of minimum income guarantee may be radical, but the
Congress party under him had taken that leap in imagining its version of a
welfare state over the last six months to a year leading up to victory in
the three Hindi heartland states — Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and
Chhattisgarh.

Monday’s announcement by Rahul, coupled with the promise of a national farm
loan waiver, marks a return to a more aggressive UPA politics. The UPA I
and II governments had delivered path-breaking social justice schemes
including MGNREGA (rural job guarantee), right to food and right to
information. NREGA along with the Rs 60,000-crore loan waiver for farmers
played a major role in the Congress’s victory in the 2009 Lok Sabha
elections.

Express Explained: Timing and significance of Rahul’s promise of a minimum
guaranteed income

Rahul may not have revealed the finer details of his promise of providing
minimum income guarantee to poor, but the Congress think tank tasked with
drawing up the party’s manifesto for the Lok Sabha elections has been on
the idea for some time. Sources said the manifesto would likely bring “40
per cent” of the population under the minimum income guarantee scheme. This
will include “small farmers”.

Rahul Gandhi
✔
@RahulGandhi
 We cannot build a new India while millions of our brothers & sisters
suffer the scourge of poverty.

If voted to power in 2019, the Congress is committed to a Minimum Income
Guarantee for every poor person, to help eradicate poverty & hunger.

This is our vision & our promise.

Incidentally,Gandhi himself admitted, over a year ago, that UPA’s 2004
vision had a ‘sell-by date’ of 10 years, and it “was already not working”
by 2010-11. “The vision that we had laid out in 2004 was designed, at best,
for a 10-year period. And it was pretty clear that the vision that we had
laid out in 2004… by the time we arrived in 2010-11, it was already not
working,” he had said at the University of California, Berkeley in
September 2017.

In Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh, the Congress manifesto not
only promised farm loan waivers, which the governments announced no sooner
they were formed, but also unemployment allowances. The unemployment
allowance promised in Madhya Pradesh is as high as Rs 10,000, and in
Rajasthan it is Rs 3,500. The Chhattisgarh Congress too included such a
dole in its manifesto, but did not provide details.

While the timing of Rahul’s announcement is seen an an attempt to pre-empt
the government from proposing an Universal Basic Income (UBI) for all poor
in the interim budget — the Economic Survey for 2016-17 had already talked
about the idea of a sovereign wealth fund and citizen’s dividend, party
leaders said minimum income guarantee is a logical extension of the
right-based initiatives taken by the UPA governments.

UBI for 40 per cent of the population at the bottom, that will include
small farmers, is one of the ideas under consideration,” a senior Congress
leader told The Indian Express. Former Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who
heads the manifesto committee, said the party will give more “details of
the plan” in the manifesto. He maintained that the party will find the
resources to implement the scheme. “The poor of India has the first right
to the country’s resources,” he said.

Congress leaders were quick to describe the idea of minimum income
guarantee a game changer. Chidambaram called Gandhi’s announcement historic
which will mark a turning point in the lives of the poor.

“The principle of Universal Basic Income (UBI) has been discussed
extensively in the last two years. The time has come to adapt the principle
to our situation and our needs and implement the same for the poor. We will
explain our plan in the Congress manifesto. 140 million people were lifted
out of poverty between 2004 and 2014. Now we should make a determined
effort to wipe out poverty in India,” he said.

EXPLAINED
Gamechanger, but funds a test
Rahul Gandhi’s minimum income guarantee promise ahead of elections is a
powerful idea. It has not been undertaken in a sustained manner anywhere in
the world. With this announcement, he has taken the first mover advantage.
The idea of universal basic income itself is untested, but the biggest
challenge will be to raise the money required.
While Gandhi had been talking about addressing the issue of unemployment
and lack of job creation and waiver of farm loans, the Congress’s election
narrative so far had not specifically thrown an idea at the poor, an
amorphous entity which was at the centre of its campaign narrative both in
2004 and 2009. The party’s campaign slogan for 2004 was ‘Congress Ka Haath,
Garibon Ke Saath’. Five years later in 2009, the party modified it to ‘Aam
Aadmi Ke Badhte Kadam.Har Kadam Par Bharat Buland’.

In 2014, the party, however, shed the terms aam aadmi and garib — not
surprisingly since the AAP had by then emerged as a force in Delhi — and
moved to a generic tagline ‘Main Nahin, Hum’ (it’s not me, it’s us). Be it
NREGA, Right to Food, The Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act, the law
to give legal sanction to street vendors across the country, Rashtriya
Swasthya Bima Yojana, National Rural Health, Right to Education and Forest
Rights Act —- the UPA decade has been all about social security programmes
and welfare politics. And Gandhi has signalled a return to the tried and
tested planks.
--
Peace Is Doable