[It's necessary to keep in mind that out of all the people who had applied,
in Assam, to establish their Indian citizenship, based on "legacy
documents" - not too easy a task, in the first place, a staggering four
million were left out in the first draft list.
Out of this four million, one million have failed to reapply, mainly
because the change of "legacy" - like using one's father instead of
grandfather as the reference point, was disallowed.
The three million who have done, their fates are being decided by an
administration openly hostile to them.
The man in charge of the process, Pradeep Hajela, submitted in the open
court that he would rather have eligible applicants left out in order to
ensure that the ineligible ones are filtered out.

A huge humanitarian crisis in making.
The Supreme Court is a major actor.

<<"We are very disappointed with your request. We are sorry to say but the
Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is delaying the NRC work. We are left
anguished. The MHA seems hell bent on destroying the NRC," remarked the
CJI.

The observations came after Attorney General KK Venugopal, representing the
central government, made a request for suspension of the NRC work in the
wake of the upcoming general elections.

Venugopal said that it would not be conducive to go on with the
simultaneous process of deciding claims and objections for the NRC after
the Election Commission notifies the Lok Sabha elections.

The top law officer added that 167 companies of the central forces, which
are currently deployed for the NRC work, will also have to be moved during
the general elections.

The Attorney General urged the bench to put the NRC process in abeyance for
the period between notification of the polls and two weeks after the votes
are cast.

But the submission left the bench anguished. "We just say that the
government of India is not cooperating. When it wants to do something, it
can come up with one thousand ways of doing something. But in this case,
you don't want to cooperate," it retorted.

The court said it would contemplate summoning the Union Home Secretary for
an explanation over “not cooperating at all.”>>]

https://www.news18.com/news/india/youre-hell-bent-on-destroying-nrc-sc-fumes-at-centre-for-not-cooperating-at-all-in-the-process-2026003.html?fbclid=IwAR1o-GcdMM9jNxrK4RZJG0o3W_Hbck2OyES3Dh3VDTISevge5ZzkVq2hs18

You're Hell Bent on Destroying NRC: SC Fumes at Centre for ‘Not Cooperating
at All’ in the Process
The Supreme Court said it would contemplate summoning the Union Home
Secretary for an explanation over not cooperating in the NRC work.

Utkarsh Anand | CNN-News18

Updated:February 6, 2019, 11:17 AM IST

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday reproached the Centre to seek
suspension of the NRC updation in Assam, observing that the government
seems to be "hell bent on destroying the NRC".

A bench comprising Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Rohinton
F Nariman refused to suspend the process of deciding claims and objections
of those who were left out of first draft of the National Register of
Citizens (NRC).

The court's strictures have come at a time when the BJP, through its top
leaders, has been talking about its commitment to implement the NRC in
Assam, and has also sought to take some credit of the process in their
political speeches.

[...]

The bench further said: "Elections are definitely to be held peacefully but
the NRC must also have to keep going. Elections and NRC must go together.
Both the exercises are important for the country."

The bench made it clear that it would not extend the deadline of July 31,
2019 for publication of the final list of the NRC in Assam.

In its order, the bench directed the Assam government to keep adequate
number of officials free for the NRC work. Election Commission should also
examine exemption of officers to carry on the NRC work during the polls, it
added.

"Least interference should be made in the NRC work," maintained the bench,
reiterating that deadline for final NRC remains July 31.

The court will hear the case next in the first week of March.

--
Peace Is Doable