The debates on the forthcoming elections have already started. Activists
and people's movements who have been contributing actively without the
representations in Parliament have started discussing on strategies. The
usual debates are on. All these debates have been repetitions of the
debates we have heard for decades. Some will decide to opt out. Some will
decide to back those political forces which can effectively form an
alternative to BJP Governance, while these opposition political parties are
still negotiating and fighting for their presence in power among
themselves. Some would say, `vote for the eligible candidates'. And others
will follow the `mainstream opinion within the alternative'. We have seen
that enough in history. It is also a matter of irony that this Parliament
Election in 2019 has become so crucial for many discourses and discussions
at a time when Parliament itself has become more or less a rubber stamp.
The data of the number of millionaires and billionaires as sitting members
in the Indian Parliament are available. The corruption details are heavily
debated within the mainstream press itself. And it is an open reality that
most of the MPs that we elect do not even read and reflect crucial Bills
that affect the lives of the majority of people in this country, before
they decide to `vote for' or `vote against'. Many of them are also
`sleeping members'. The influence of the investment of money in these
campaigns to determine the success or loss of a candidate has also
transformed drastically in recent times. Therefore, the crisis is to find
eligible candidates who worked for the people and articulate the concerns
of the people, if we have to protect this important institution of
democracy. In this situation, there are some candidates also fighting
without the backing of money power and with the intention of raising
important issues they have been representing for decades as activists. In
Bangalore North, Cynthia Stephen has decided to contest. She is not an
unknown face for the activists in Bangalore. I have seen her presence in
many protests and public programmes and seminars for a long time. She has
been consistently raising the issues of Dalits, Women, Religious
Minorities, Child Rights, Rights of the Physically Challenged and other
issues of the marginalised as well as various developmental issues. Her
contributions in research, writings, advocacy, activism are known to the
activists in Bangalore.  In this context, it is too appropriate that the
activists in Bangalore support their own candidate whole hearted and work
for her success. I do not see this from a perspective of `winnability', but
as a matter of `principle'. When decisions are based on `winnability' and
not on `principles' then I can assure you that there will be no
transformation in the structure of Indian Parliament. And if people dare to
vote on `principles' and work for this candidate, she may win also. My best
wishes to Cynthia Stephen.