[<<I think justice has to be done. The people who were responsible for the
1984 tragedy have to be punished. The Former PM, Manmohan Singh Ji has
apologised. My mother, Sonia Gandhi Ji has apologised. We all have made our
position very clear - that 1984 was a terrible tragedy and should never
have happened.>>

(Excerpted from sl. no. I. below.)]

I/II.
https://scroll.in/latest/923078/he-was-out-of-line-rahul-gandhi-pulls-up-sam-pitroda-for-comment-on-1984-violence?fbclid=IwAR0dssVBgYO3W_-EIWwH6m9xB1ld1AnLMw1qHpMLg5U6SnYRn8PEAn2iKQ8

‘He was out of line’: Rahul Gandhi pulls up Sam Pitroda for comment on 1984
violence
The Congress chief distanced the party from Pitroda’s comment and said the
violence was a ‘terrible tragedy’.

‘He was out of line’: Rahul Gandhi pulls up Sam Pitroda for comment on 1984
violence
File photo of Congress President Rahul Gandhi. | Twitter/INC

Yesterday · 07:09 am
Scroll Staff

Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Friday rebuked his party’s Indian
Overseas Chairman Sam Pitroda for a remark about the 1984 violence. In a
Facebook post, Gandhi said Pitroda’s comment was “absolutely and completely
out of line and is not appreciated” and added that he must apologise.

“Hua to hua [it happened, so what]”. He had later claimed the statement was
“completely twisted, taken out of context because my Hindi isn’t good”. The
reporter had asked Pitroda about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s claim that
former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi had ordered the violence in 1984 after
two Sikh bodyguards assassinated his mother Indira Gandhi.

Gandhi said, “I think 1984 was a needless tragedy that caused tremendous
pain. I think justice has to be done. The people who were responsible for
the 1984 tragedy have to be punished. The Former PM, Manmohan Singh Ji has
apologised. My mother, Sonia Gandhi Ji has apologised. We all have made our
position very clear - that 1984 was a terrible tragedy and should never
have happened.”

Earlier too, the party had distanced itself from Pitroda’s comment. “Any
opinion remark made by any individual to the contrary including Sam Pitroda
is not the opinion of the Congress party,” the Congress had said on Friday.

Several leaders from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party, including Prime
Minister Narendra Modi, had criticised Pitroda and the Congress for the
remark. The National Commission for Minorities had also issued a notice to
Pitroda based on a complaint filed by BJP spokesperson Tajinder Pal Singh
Bagga. Congress leader and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh was also
among those who did not appreciate the remark. Singh had called Pitroda’s
comment shocking.

Here is the full text of Gandhi’s post:

 I think what Sam Pitroda Ji said is completely out of line and he should
apologise for it.

I think 1984 was a needless tragedy that caused tremendous pain.

I think justice has to be done. The people who were responsible for the
1984 tragedy have to be punished. The Former PM, Manmohan Singh Ji has
apologised. My mother, Sonia Gandhi Ji has apologised. We all have made our
position very clear - that 1984 was a terrible tragedy and should never
have happened.

What Mr. Sam Pitroda has said is absolutely and completely out of line and
is not appreciated. I will be communicating this to him directly. He must
apologise for his comment.

— Rahul Gandhi/Facebook

II.
https://www.indiatoday.in/elections/lok-sabha-2019/story/my-hindi-not-good-was-saying-jo-hua-wo-bura-hua-sam-pitroda-hua-toh-hua-1984-anti-sikh-riots-1522012-2019-05-10

Sam Pitroda apologises for 1984 riots remark, says his Hindi isn't good
Asserting that his Hindi is "not good", Sam Pitroda alleged that his
statement on the 1984 riots was "completely twisted" and was taken "out of
context".

India Today Web Desk
New Delhi

May 10, 2019UPDATED: May 10, 2019 20:03 IST

Sam Pitroda on his hua toh hua statement on 1984 anti-Sikh riots. (Photo:
ANI)

Sam Pitroda said on Friday that he meant 'jo hua wo bura hua [what happened
was bad]' on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots and not 'hua-toh-hua' but could not
translate 'bura' in his mind as his Hindi is not good. He also alleged that
his 'hua-toh-hua' statement on the 1984 riots was "completely twisted" and
was taken "out of context".

His apology came after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders, Sikh groups
and Prime Minister Narendra Modi attacked Pitroada. The prime minister even
said it should not be taken as views of an individual but of the Congress
party which was arrogant on the issue from the beginning. Congress also
distanced itself from his remarks.

"The statement I made was completely twisted, taken out of context because
my Hindi isn't good, what I meant was 'jo hua vo bura hua,' I couldn't
translate 'bura' in my mind," Sam Pitroda said.

Earlier on Thursday, Indian Overseas Congress chief Sam Pitroda brushed off
the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, saying 'hua-toh-hua'. Sam Pitroda has apologised
for his remark.

Sam Pitroda said that what he meant was "move on" and that there are other
issues to discuss. The Congress leader also said that he feels sorry his
statement was misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.

He said, "What I meant was move on. We have other issues to discuss as to
what BJP govt did and what it delivered. I feel sorry that my remark was
misrepresented, I apologise. This has been blown out of proportion."

ANI
✔
@ANI
 Sam Pitroda, Congress: What I meant was move on. We have other issues to
discuss as to what BJP govt did and what it delivered. I feel sorry that my
remark was misrepresented, I apologise. This has been blown out of
proportion.

ANI
✔
@ANI
Sam Pitroda, Congress on his remarks on '84 riots: The statement I made was
completely twisted, taken out of context because my Hindi isn't good, what
I meant was 'jo hua vo bura hua,' I couldn't translate 'bura' in my mind.

View image on Twitter
112
6:23 PM - May 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
110 people are talking about this

Sam Pitroda's apology comes hours after Congress released a statement on
the party leader's remark on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. The party said, in a
statement, that it was not the opinion of the Congress.

Congress said, "We continue to support the quest for justice for 1984 riot
victims. Any opinion remark made by any individual to the contrary
including Sam Pitroda is not the opinion of Congress party. We advise all
the leaders to be careful and sensitive."

"Congress party believes that justice should be done to 1984 riots victims
as also to 2002 Gujarat riots victims. We abhor violence of any kind,
against any person or a group of people based on their caste, colour,
region or religion. This is the essence of India."

--
Peace Is Doable

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/greenyouth/CACEsOZhfgkk%3DQ02CRQxijEwpbwO8t3esU9rvAk1_EFqBOpVGrA%40mail.gmail.com.