I have interviewed much more than a couple of 1000 people with camera and
without camera. Most of those who have been interviewed by me are either
leaders of people's movements, activists, organic intellectuals who do
certain degree of intellectual work on a specific social issue or those who
are affected by a social issue. Majority in this crowd belonged to group
known as survivors of destruction or human rights violations. I usually
maintain my eye contact with all those with whom I interact with, since
eyes can communicate how genuine the person is committed to his or her
words. Guru Dutt once stated that eighty per cent of acting in cinema is
through eyes. He tried it well in Pyaasa and Kagaz ke Phool. The eyes of
his characters communicated a lot. If you look at some of the classic
Iranian films, you will find great art on entirely covered woman's body
exposing only the eyes.You need not even express through lips. Some
progressive and secular people may find it intolerable to watch a fully
covered woman's body. And they conveniently dare not ask these women what
they wish to wear and why. However, if Guru Dutt is right in real life,
sometimes I have wondered whether my judgement of people to understand
their eyes as a mark of genuine and sincere expression or just `acting'. I
have personally been asked this question on many occasions: `Did you
prepare them for your interviews?' It's funny. There is a deep need for
those who face extreme social problems and those who are involved with
people's movements and struggles to communicate. All you have to do is to
lend a pair of compassionate eyes to listen along with a compassionate lens
of a video camera. They will not speak to the camera. Because they don't
care. They speak to your compassionate eyes. Broadly speaking, I would say
that this is the difference between real socially relevant documentary
cinema and feature films. The eyes of those whom we interview are genuinely
troubled and the subjects are not acting. Quite often it becomes an
outburst or flow for the need to communicate to somebody about their
problems. I also take a glance at the environment as well as the person
with whom I interview from top to bottom. While the exchange of minds are
on ideas and experiences, the visual movements are more on the hands. Some
speak without hand movements. Some speak with limited hand movements. But
for many people, the hand movements are visual interpretations of their
words. Sometimes, you may even wonder whether the words are coming out from
the mouth or from the hands. The strength of the hand movements make the
audience watch the hands of the subject of the frame more than the lips
which produce the words. Often, hands enact as a choreographic dance for
their words. One day, I will write about the dancing hands from my
experiences of shooting documentary films.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/greenyouth/CAEuZ0T143ESjjFCeMNKcWNctU7UpZtxOx3QJ7YeN4doy5cYHaQ%40mail.gmail.com.