[Lying doesn't help a worthy cause.
It damages, by undermining the credibility of the campaign.

For Arundhati Roy, this is, of course, not the first time.
She's not known to be too fussy about facts.
But, the other instances are, usually, far less striking.

Except for the one when she alleged, during the Gujarat 2002, stripping and
burning of brutally slain former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri's daughters.
The snag was that Jaffri had one daughter, not more, and she was in the US,
in those days, her usual place of residence.
That offered a huge advantage to the Sangh Brigade in trying to project all
the numerous valid charges of bestial brutalities as slanderous
fabrications.

This is what she had written:
"A mob surrounded the house of former Congress MP Iqbal Ehsan Jaffri. His
phone calls to the Director-General of Police, the Police Commissioner, the
Chief Secretary, the Additional Chief Secretary (Home) were ignored. The
mobile police vans around his house did not intervene. The mob broke into
the house. ***They stripped his daughters and burned them alive***
[emphasis added]. Then they beheaded Ehsan Jaffri and dismembered him. Of
course it's only a coincidence that Jaffri was a trenchant critic of
Gujarat Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, during his campaign for the Rajkot
Assembly by-election in February."
(Ref.: 'Democracy: Who's she when she's at home?', dtd. May 6 2002, at
<Democracy>.)

The May 27 issue of the magazine would, however, carry a note of apology:
<<There is a factual error in my essay Democracy: Where’s she when she’s at
home? (May 6). In describing the brutal killing of Ehsan Jaffri, I have
said that his daughters had been killed along with their father. It has
subsequently been pointed out to me that this is not correct. Eyewitness
accounts say that Ehsan Jaffri was killed along with his three brothers and
two nephews. His daughters were not among the 10 women who were raped and
killed in Chamanpura that day.>>
(Excerpted from: 'Democracy: To the Jaffri Family, An Apology' at
<Feedback>.)
Noteworthy is the fact that even this note of apology talks of Ehsan
Jaffri's "daughters".

The same issue would also carry an article by a BJP leader, Balbir K. Punj,
(gloatingly) making Roy's article a peg.
An excerpt:
<<T.A. Jafri, his son, in a front-page interview titled Nobody knew my
father's house was the target (Asian Age, May 2, Delhi edition), says,
"Among my brothers and sisters, I am the only one living in India. And I am
the eldest in the family. My sister and brother live in the US. I am 40
years old and I have been born and brought up in Ahmedabad.">>
(Ref.: 'Fiddling With Facts As Gujarat Burns: The Roys in the media are
harming India with half-truths and worse, says Balbir K. Punj' at <Fiddling
With Facts As Gujarat Burns>.)

In the instant case, this is (a part of) what she said:
“In fact, the Indian state, from the moment it became a sovereign nation,
from the moment it shook off the shackles of colonialism, it became a
colonial state. And it has waged war since 1947 in Kashmir, Manipur,
Nagaland, Mizoram, Telengana, Punjab, Kashmir [repeat], Goa, Hyderabad. If
you look at it, it's like a state that has been perpetually at war, and a
"military" war - deploying the Army, against its own people. The state of
Pakistan has not deployed its Army against its own people in the way the
Indian - the "democratic" Indian, state has. And if you look at who are
these people that the Indian state chose to fight. In all the northeastern
states they're tribal people, in Kashmir it was the Muslim, in Telangana it
was the tribal people, in Hyderabad it was the Muslim, in Goa - Christian,
in Punjab - Sikh."
(Ref.: The embedded video clip in <Shama Mohamed on Twitter>.)

Apart from the gross lie that the Pakistani Army was not used against its
own people, in Goa, the action of the Indian state was against the colonial
Portuguese rule. A popular resistance movement had been going on for years
to oust that rule. Christians were known to be very much a part of that.
(Shyam Benegal's film, Trikal, aptly captures that aspect.)
Nor Punjab can hardly be equated with Nagaland and Mizoram.
Nor the Army is known to have been used in Telangana.
Admittedly, these are, however, rather finer points.

As regards the Pakistani Army, it perpetrated brutalities "against its own
people", in 1971, in the then East Pakistan, on a scale way larger than the
Indian Army has ever done as yet.
Its record in Balochistan also cannot be just overlooked.
Apart from the fact that Pakistan was periodically under repressive
military rule.

<<The Indian author said the Pakistan army “was never used against its own
people” -- this is a display of ignorance at best, and an attempt at
whitewashing Pakistan’s history of violence at worst.

Roy has long been considered a champion of the downtrodden and the
oppressed, and for a writer of her level of erudition and sensitivity to
completely dismiss the history of the Pakistan army’s atrocities towards
the people of what was then East Pakistan and is now Bangladesh, is not
just unfortunate, but potentially damaging.

While we can understand Roy’s desire to condemn what is happening in
Kashmir vis-a-vis India’s revoking of Article 370, defending Pakistan
through false examples is not the way to present her argument.

Indeed, it is not only the genocide committed against the Bangali
population in 1971 that the Pakistani army needs to answer for. Whether we
are talking about the Sindhis or the Balochis, the Pakistan army has a
storied history of using force against its own countrymen.>>

(Excerpted from the sl. no. II. below.)

Good that she has, now, tendered an apology, having been challenged:

<<A 2011 video clip of Roy speaking at a panel surfaced on social media, in
which she says the Indian state has deployed its Army against people in
regions including Kashmir, the northeast, Telangana, and Goa. “…Pakistan
has not deployed its army against its people the way India has…”, she goes
on to add.

In a statement shared with ThePrint, Roy clarified that at some point in
their lives, people inadvertently “say something thoughtless or stupid”.

“Still, it is a matter of enormous consequence and I apologise for any
momentary confusion the clip may have caused.”>>

(Excerpted from sl. no. I. below.)

<<Upon closer inspection, I realised that Roy had not only been quoted out
of context by the Indian media but was also misquoted outright. Some
Bangladeshi media outlets blindly followed suit, without bothering to
verify her words for themselves.>>
(Excerpted from sl. no. III. below.)

It's, however, not clear "Indian media", as mentioned above, refers to
which news item(s)?
Google searching by this observer led to only these sites: The Print,
reproduced below, Scroll, cited above, Moneycontrol and NewsX.

These controvesies have, however, hardly any bearing on the quality of her
creative writing.
She is pretty deservedly celebrated as a top class writer.

Better visit the orginal sites for which links have been provided below.]

I/III.
https://theprint.in/india/arundhati-roy-apologises-for-2011-video-on-pakistan-army-says-may-have-been-thoughtless/283548/?fbclid=IwAR0vB47sUCXtwKeTXRXbso6jTWsdY_3BP0JQ7bsd9UOcWRIyVPiUtiWo_Z4

Arundhati Roy apologises for 2011 video on Pakistan Army, says may have
been thoughtless
Arundhati Roy issued a statement for her claim that Pakistan had not
deployed its army against its people the way India has in regions such as
Kashmir and the northeast.

THEPRINT TEAM

Updated: 28 August, 2019 11:14 pm IST

Author and activist Arundhati Roy addresses a protest organised by the
activists of Campaign against State Repression on Rights over various
issues, at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi in August, 2018. | PTI
Author and activist Arundhati Roy in August, 2018 | PTI

New Delhi: Award-winning author Arundhati Roy apologised Wednesday for her
nearly decade-old remarks comparing the Indian and Pakistani armies, saying
what she said then in no way represents what she believes now, or has
written over the years.

A 2011 video clip of Roy speaking at a panel surfaced on social media, in
which she says the Indian state has deployed its Army against people in
regions including Kashmir, the northeast, Telangana, and Goa. “…Pakistan
has not deployed its army against its people the way India has…”, she goes
on to add.

In a statement shared with ThePrint, Roy clarified that at some point in
their lives, people inadvertently “say something thoughtless or stupid”.

“Still, it is a matter of enormous consequence and I apologise for any
momentary confusion the clip may have caused.”

She added that she has been clear about her views on Pakistan’s actions
through her writings.

Roy had come under a wave of criticism for her “double standards”, with
Twitter users in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh making the hashtag
#ArundhatiRoy trend. Many Pakistanis, who claimed to be admirers of Roy,
said her remarks had disappointed them.

Shama Mohamed
✔
@drshamamohd
 Shame on Arundhati Roy! I used to have huge respect for her, but not
anymore! Not only is she insulting my India, she is praising the Pakistani
army which, apart from directly supporting terrorism in India, also killed
3 million of its own people during the 1971 Bangladeshi war!

 Embedded video
14.6K
3:50 PM - Aug 26, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
7,133 people are talking about this

The Dhaka Tribune also criticised her remarks as unfortunate. “…Pakistan
has refused to acknowledge the atrocities committed against our people in
1971… Roy has long been considered a champion of the downtrodden and the
oppressed, and for a writer of her level of erudition and sensitivity to
completely dismiss the history of the Pakistan army’s atrocities towards
the people of what was then East Pakistan and is now Bangladesh, is not
just unfortunate, but potentially damaging,” the publication said in its
editorial.

Read Arundhati Roy’s full statement here:

As tensions rise to dangerous levels between India and Pakistan over
Kashmir, a nine year old video clip has surfaced on the social media, in
which while speaking of the endless wars the Indian government has waged
against its own people, I seem to be saying that Pakistan has never
deployed its army against its “own” people the way India has. We all, at
some point in our lives, might inadvertently say something thoughtless or
stupid. This tiny clip of video in no way represents what I believe, or
indeed what I have written over the years. I am a writer, and what I commit
to words is far more important than what I might say extempore in the
course of a freewheeling talk. Still, It is a matter of enormous
consequence and I apologize for any momentary confusion the clip may have
caused.

My views on what the Government of Pakistan is doing in Balochistan and the
genocide that the Pakistan Army committed in Bangladesh have never been
ambiguous and have always been a part of my writing. Here, in order to keep
it short, are two small examples.

In my novel The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, published in 2017, one of the
main characters, an Indian Intelligence officer, Biplab Dasgupta aka Garson
Hobart, who has served in Kashmir, says:

“It’s true we did—we do— some terrible things in Kashmir, but… I mean what
the Pakistan Army did in East Pakistan—now that was a clear case of
genocide. Open and shut. When the Indian Army liberated Bangladesh, the
good old Kashmiris called it—still call it—the ‘Fall of Dhaka.’ They aren’t
very good at other peoples’ pain. But then, who is? The Baloch, who are
being buggered by Pakistan, don’t care about Kashmiris. The Bangladeshis
who we liberated are hunting down Hindus. The good old communists call
Stalin’s Gulag a ‘necessary part of revolution’. The Americans are
currently lecturing the Vietnamese about human rights. What we have on our
hands is a species problem. None of us is exempt.”

In an essay called Walking with the Comrades published in 2010 and