Ok, I figured out the problem.

I had modified the x12arima.sh script to install "x12a" in /usr/bin, and
I discovered that in order to get x-12-arima to work from within gretl,
one must have two things:

1. For some reason gretl requires the existance of the directory
$HOME/gretl/x12arima, x-12--arima won't work without it, and it is
independent of the user directory.

2. Under File->Preferences->General->Programs, you must specify the full
path to the x12a executable.

Shortly gretl will be available for all users of Sorcerer Linux, thanks
Prof. Cottrell for all of the excellent hard work.

Rob