On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, francesco manaresi wrote:

> ** (gretl_x11:804): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
> Andale Mono 12

Thanks very much to Francesco and Saam for their perseverance with
gretl on Panther!  Thanks very much also for the offer of a copy of
Panther.  I would like to take this up, but I'm concerned about the
possibility of screwing up my wife's computer, to which I have
access only on suffrance!  I tried updating to OS X 10.2.8 at one
point and the update failed: I was afraid I'd turned her imac into a
doorstop, but after some scary work at the mac console I managed to
recover 10.2.4.

However, I do have something to try.  I notice that the font folder
included in the new gretl.dmg is showing up in the X font path OK.
That's encouraging.  If you have the patience, I suggest trying the
following two changes:

1. In Gretl_Folder/bin, open gretl.sh in a text editor and add these
two lines, after the ones mentioning PANGO_RC_FILE:

  GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE="$PREFIX/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules"
  export GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE

(Also in this file, probably best set GDK_USE_XFT=1)

2. In your home folder (e.g., for me, /Users/allin), look for any
files whose names start with .gretl.  If there are any other than
.gretlosxrc, delete them.  In .gretlosxrc (which should be there)

(a) Replace

Fixed_font = <whatever>

with

Fixed_font = Luxi Mono 12

(b) Replace

App_font = <whatever>

with

App_font = Luxi Sans 12

These Luxi fonts are the free TrueType fonts supplied with the new
gretl.dmg.  I'm hopeful that if these fonts are specified, they
might be found!

If this works, I can modify the gretl OS X package accordingly.

Allin Cottrell