In gretl CVS, I've now split the manual into two chunks.  One, which
I'm calling the Gretl Command Reference, includes the Command
Reference chapter and also the "Options and arguments" chapter.
The remaining chapters of the full manual have gone into what I'm
calling the Gretl Users' Guide.

I'm now working on an xsl stylesheet to convert the XML files
containing the Users' Guide chapters into reasonably clean,
human-editable tex.  This is progressing quite well, though I still
have to tackle tables.  For the present, we can compile both parts
as PDF using the XML sources and jadetex, albeit with some breakage
of cross-references.

Cri, I hope you don't mind my making some small changes to some of
the Italian XML files.  This was just because, with the split, some
of the old cross-references are no longer valid, and I wanted to
test the compilation of both the Italian and the English versions.

I agree with Jack's observations on the manual, and would be very
glad to receive contributions/patches for the Users' Guide.

Allin Cottrell