On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:35:03PM -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> >I'm wondering:
> >- Can I break anything if I add accelerators which in the original
> >version don't exist?
>
> I don't think so.

I confirm that you won't break anything.

> >- Is there a rule for the choice of which items get accelerators? I
> >couldn't infer the pattern from the status quo.
>
> I'm afraid that is a bit random in the English version.  You might
> take a look at Cri Rigamonti's Italian version (run gretl with
> LANG=it_IT), since I think Cri has been more systematic than me!
> My procedure was simply to add an accelerator up to the point where
> I ran out of reasonably intuitive unique keys, then stop ;-)

For the most common menu items (Open, Save, etc...) I followed the standard
suggestions of the GNOME and KDE i18n teams:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/style-guides/
http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/

For gretl-specific stuff I tried to extend Allin's intuitive approach; of course
when you work with long menus you may find "conflicting" items reclaiming the
same "intuitive" accelerator: you can decide to switch to less intuitive ones,
or just use the same accelerator for different items (and the user will cycle
between the items when pressing the accelerator key).

Cri

--
  GPG/PGP Key-Id 0x943A5F0E      -     http://www.linux.it/~cri/cri.asc