I have recently been tasked in developing some forecasts for some CPU usage.

I currently have found data from 2003 to current. The data is weekly
on a Julian calendar (52 weeks a year).

I have also found a calendar of holidays and planned deadlines and
activities that may affect the usage (they are dummy variables I
suppose, with a 1 indicating yes and 0 for no.)

Now after about a month of pouring through every scrap of online lore
I could find, and with some assistance from several people I have a
slightly better idea of what to do.

I have to do a time series analysis of the CPU usage in relation to
seasonal activities (seasonality being 52) along with the the dummy
variables indicating various activities that affect the cpu usage.

As I am not (big not here) a statistics guru (I'm a a techie not a
mathematician) and this is more for the sake of research to make my
life easier. I have $0.00 to dedicate to this (I can't even get a book
out of this...) so Open Source is my only option.

I would like to use Gretl to develop a 52 week forecast based on past
historical data.

I have the date (actual and week #) and the known cpu usage in MIPS
(million of instructions per second).

So far:
Date,MIPS

Then I have anywhere from 10 to 300 (depending on what I want to add)
columns of potential events that could affect the MIPS. (dummy
variable, 0 or 1, holidays, weather, hell even the price of oil if we
choose).

After all this research ARIMA (Box-Jenkins) seems to be the system to
use. I have used Autobox to get familiar with this but there is no way
to back-forecast in that tool that I can see (We want to be able to
check the model against older data for accuracy and graph if) and I
would really like to have a better understanding of this process.
Ideally I would like to have this as automated as possible (that's
what I do for a living) but not having the strong backgound in
statistics I am trying to automate something I barely understand.

Each week I get a new data point to add to my master list so we want
to develop a script\pipeline\process and need to re-run this weekly
(plus perhaps make some adjustments in future calendar entries based
on changes). (in short back-forecast 52 week including now and give me
the next 52 weeks, trim graph to that period...)

But, lost, alone, and frightened in the dark woods of statistics I
need help building this process using Gretl (and if necessary R).

But where do I begin? How should I structure such a script for Gretl?

Ok I have Gretl... Check!
I have R also... Check! (just in case)
I have all the data ready to go in excel files (that's how I get them)... Check!

How do I put this puzzle together? How, in Gretl do I determine the
best ARIMA model through a script? Do I just loop through?
Suggestions?

R appears to have some functionality for autofitting, what process
should I go through via Gretl to find things like this out script
wise.

I'm lost and I hear wolves and strange noises coming from the forests
(sounds like albino calculus monsters... I heard the differential ones
are poisonous...)

I know there has to be others out there that are in the same boat and
I am hoping to put an easy guide together so others can use it as a
template. Where do I begin? How do I know when to end? How can I use
Gretl to accomplish this goal?

Help! The fire is dying and I hear rustling in the bushes nearby! (and
for the Jetson fans HEPL!)

Id.