On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Sven Schreiber wrote:

>>> Would it be worthwhile to generalize this to columns as well? Maybe
>>> using an optional second argument or so. I'm not sure about it, and I'm
>>> aware of rev(A')', just asking as long as it's still in "design stage".
>>
>> If you ask me, I'd rather have one function with the user in charge of
>> transposing things twice, rather than two and save the user the
>> inconvenience. IMHO, all other things being equal, the fewer functions
>> the better. But of course I'm open to change my mind on this.
>>

> I agree that two separate functions would not be good. What I meant was
> something like:
>
> rev(A,1)      -- reverses row-wise
> rev(A,2)      -- reverses col-wise (or maybe rev(A,'c'))
> rev(A)                -- defaults to /alias for rev(A,1)
>
> But I don't have a strong opinion, given gretl's short transposition syntax.

(I'm sending this to gretl-dev too, since it's a bit technical)

This may make sense, with a slight modification: instead of 1/2, I'd
rather use 0/1, so it becomes easy to decide on a logical condition (eg.
rev(A, foo>bar)). Besides, reversing columns would probably be more
CPU-efficient, since we could use memcpy() for that, as in

----- C code -----------------------------------------------------
gretl_matrix *gretl_matrix_reverse_cols (const gretl_matrix *m)
{
     int i, r, c;
     gretl_matrix *ret;

     if (m == NULL) {