On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Federico Tamagni wrote:
>
> > Ok, so here is the attachment..hope you find useful to understand what's
> > going on...

Yes, thanks very much.

> Before Allin gives his take, two things:
>
> 1) where do you keep your source tree? It looks as if you're running make
> from /usr/local/gretl/, which is definitely not what I'd recommend.

I agree with Jack.  If the source tree and the installation tree
overlap this may cause problems.  The usual approach when
compiling things from source is to root the build tree somewhere
different altogether, say in /usr/src if you're building the
software as the root user, or somewhere under your home directory
if you're building as an ordinary user (in which case you'd
probably do "sudo make install" to install).

> 2) it looks as if you've got a 32bit/64bit mismatch with your
> version of fftw3 (see line 99).

Yes, that's the show-stopper: arbond.so is the first gretl plugin
to be installed, and this is failing because of a problem with
libfftw3.a.  This aborts the "make install" in the plugin
directory, so all the plugins will be missing.  The relevant lines
from your install.log are as follows.

1. Libtool calls the linker:

libtool: relink: gcc -shared  .libs/arbond.o [...] \
-lfftw3 -lm -Wl,-soname -Wl,arbond.so -o .libs/arbond.so

2. The linker responds:

[...] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
/usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a(plan-dft-c2r-1d.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I believe the problem here is with linking to a static libfftw3.
You should probably try building and installing the dynamic
library libfftw3.so.  Note that when building fftw3 from the
source package, for some reason a purely static build is the
default; to get a shared library you have to explicitly say

./configure --enable-shared

Hope this helps.

Allin Cottrell