On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza wrote:

> I have many script files in which I use the backslash in a
> string, so it is probably that if the behavior of the "string"
> command is changed I will have to correct them.

Yes, the change I made has a larger effect of backward
incompatibility than I first thought.  If we were to allow
any backslash escapes in

string s = "..."

then we would really have to allow all the standard ones, and that
would break existing scripts that define Windows paths containing
backslashes: all of these would have to be doubled.

We can revisit this later, but for now I'll revert my change and
put a note in the manual explaining that backslashes are not
treated specially in that context.

Allin.