On 9/24/2009 11:35 PM, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> And in fact I'm not so sure
> that the suggested approach (checking and revising the CSV file in
> a text editor before loading it into gretl) is inefficient; it may
> well be optimal.  This is a serious point.

I take it seriously.  I always look at my CSV files.
Cleaning them up with Vim is generally trivial.

But there are conflicting goals here.  Do you realize that most undergrads
these days do not even know what a text editor is?  I may not mind
teaching them that additional skill later in the semester, but I start
with a situation
where a few students freak out that they have to install gretl, and a fair
number cannot believe that they are asked to write a short script rather
than
to point and click their way to nirvana.

Alan