On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Marco Dieckhoff wrote:

> I have a problem, a saved session will not replay what I did manually.
>
> My step-by-step approach:
>
> Open CSV File (Colon, Point)
> Yes, use as time series
> Time Series

> (translated from german, may not be exact, also on following terms).
>
> I'm missing "daily (1)"?

What would "daily(1)" mean?  Daily 5, 6 and 7 mean, respectively,
that there are 5, 6 or 7 daily observations per week.  So I
suppose "daily(1)" would mean that you have one daily observation
per week.  I would call that weekly data (which gretl supports).

> After importing, I do
> Model - Time Series - ARIMA
> temp as dependent, hour as non-dependend variable
>
> All other settings on standard: AR 1, I 0, MA 1, Seasonals all on 0.
> Use constant, do not show iteration details, do Hesse matrix, no
> X-12-Arima, exact maximum likelihood
>
> OK =>
> function calculations: 91, gradient: 37, ...
>
> In this window, I use the menu to:
> Analysis, Prognosis, add 6
> automatic prognosis
> plot previous 24
> OK
>
> And I get the graph I want to see.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> Now I save this session in gretl with File - Session - Save Session.
> I open the resulting file in WinRar and get the .INP file.
>
> # Log started 2009-10-19 08:57
> # recording of session commands. please not this must most likely
> # be edited before executing

The English version of the note above is:

"Record of session commands.  Please note that this will likely
require editing if it is to be run as a script."

In other words, we cannot in general guarantee that the command
log will function as a correct gretl script as it stands.  What we
do "guarantee" (in the sense that it's a bug if this doesn't
happen) is that on re-opening the session file the state of gretl
is re-established as of the time that the session was saved.

> I get the error
> ? fcasterr 2:01 2:06
> Observation Number out of boundaries (Beobachtungsnummer au�erhalb der
> Grenzen)

In this instance the problem is one that, admittedly, we should
have been able to solve.  If you open your session file you'll see
that the observations extend to 2:06 (since 6 observations were
added for forecasting purposes), but the addition of these
observations did not get recorded in the command log.  The fix is
to insert:

dataset addobs 6

before the "fcasterr" command.  I'll add a fix shortly, to ensure
that when observations are added implicitly in the context of
forecasting, this gets recorded in the command log.

Allin Cottrell