Hi again ,

whatever i run it was in MLE window.

but when i try to run script in script command i have following problems:

open data2-1
scalar a = -0.5*log(2*pi)
scalar m=mean(vsat)
scalar mu=m/2
scalar sigma=m/mu

mle logl=a-log(sigma)-((vsat-mu)^2/2*sigma^2)
    params mu sigma
end mle --hessian

with this code error is "*Failed to compute numerical Hessian"*

**
And if i use derivatives it says "*NLS: The supplied derivatives seem to be
incorrect"*
**
open data2-1
scalar a = -0.5*log(2*pi)
scalar m=mean(vsat)
scalar mu=m/2
scalar sigma=m/mu

mle logl=a-log(sigma)-((vsat-mu)^2/2*sigma^2)
    deriv mu=(vsat-mu)/sigma^2
deriv sigma=-1/sigma+((vsat-mu)^2/sigma^3)
end mle

Derivatives seems to me fine but i do not know may be something wrong!!!

I think i am doing too much basic mistakes but i am not getting those :(,

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

Haider

On 10 May 2010 17:07, Allin Cottrell <cottrell(a)wfu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010, RAZIA HAIDER wrote:
>
> > I am new to gretl, i want to use its MLE for estimation. I have written
> > small script just to check that how MLE works but i have following error
> > message (criterion is not met a warning ). I have used sample data set
> data
> > 2-1.gdt. here is my scrpit.
> >
> > genr pi=3.14
> > scalar a=2*pi
> > scalar mu=1
> > scalar sigma=1
> > series s=sigma^2
> > sereis sq=2*s
> > series s3=sigma^3
> > scalar sq3=2*s3
> > series c=vsat-mu
> > series sq1=c^2
> >
> > mle logl=-0.5*log(a)-log(sigma)-(sq1/sq)
> > deriv mu=-c/s
> > deriv sigma=-1/sigma + (sq1/s3)
> > end mle
>
> Please post a script that actually runs. The above has some basic
> errors and will not get as far as producing a numerical error from
> the mle command.
>
> It fails first at "sereis sq=2*s". That typo is easily fixed, but
> it then fails at "scalar sq3=2*s3". This is a type error: s3 is a
> series so the formula "2*s3" yields a series result, which cannot
> be coerced to a scalar. However, since sq3 is not actually used
> below this line can be deleted.
>
> Then we hit "vsat", which is presumably a data series. To
> replicate your results, we need to know where that is coming from.
>
> All that said, your mle block is not set up correctly. You have
>
> mle logl=-0.5*log(a)-log(sigma)-(sq1/sq)
>  deriv mu=-c/s
>  deriv sigma=-1/sigma + (sq1/s3)
> end mle
>
> It looks as if you are trying to estimate mu and sigma, but mu is
> given no role in the loglikelihood so this cannot work. In
> addition "sq" is apparently a function of sigma but it is not
> updated within the mle block. Before the "deriv" lines you need to
> update any quantities in the "logl" expression that depend on mu
> and sigma.
>
> Also note that "pi" is a built-in constant in gretl; you don't
> need to define it yourself, nor do you need to calculate log(a)
> within the mle block; it would suffice to do something like
>
> scalar a = -0.5*log(2*pi)
>
> before the mle block, then express logl as "a + ...".
>
> Allin Cottrell

Razia Haider
Ph.D. student
Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Universita' di Modena e Reggio Emilia
Via Vignolese 905, 41100 Modena, Italy
e-mail: razia.haider(a)unimo.it
tel: +39 059 2056314