On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, artur tarassow wrote:

> here is the full output of the log-file ...

Here's the problem:

> gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ...
> configure:3155: checking whether we are cross compiling
> configure:3163: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  >&5
> conftest.c: In function 'main':
> conftest.c:14: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report

At this point the C compiler has not seen any gretl code; the
configure script is just running some generic checks, and it seems
to have exposed a broken gcc.

Given no additional information, I'd be inclined to google

 gcc 4.4.3-4ubuntu5 internal compiler error

However, in this case I can give you some additional information:
on my home PC I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 -- with all current updates
and with the same gcc version -- and I'm not seeing this problem.
Therefore, if I were you I'd be inclined to try uninstalling then
reinstalling gcc. It looks as if you may have somehow got a
corrupted copy of the compiler.

Allin Cottrell