Thank you,

Your solution seems to work, but only partially. I do manage to create a
list with say 300 variables and then
to delete it, but the main window of gretl seems not to get updated, that
is: while in the console I receive the
confirmation that the variables have been deleted and remaining variables
have been renumbered, this fact
is not reflected in the main window of gretl, which still lists all 400+
variables. Furthermore, if I click on one of
those "deleted" variables in the main window, gretl crashes.

I use Windows XP SP2 with gretl version 1.9.1cvs.

2010/11/8 Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza <ignacio.diaz-emparanza(a)ehu.es>

> El 08/11/10 11:40, Sergei B escribió:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a dataset with 400+ variables. Let's say I want to delete 300 of
> > them. If I select those 300 and press delete, gretl complains that
> > too many variables have been selected. Is there a way to get around this
> > issue (not selecting and delete every time around 100
> > variables)?
> >

> 1) create a list with the variables you want to delete (using
> /Data/Define or edit list), for example with name "mylist"
> 2) go to "tools/gretl console" and write there "delete mylist".
>
> This works with not so many variables, may be it works for you?
>
> --
> Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza
> DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÍA APLICADA III (ECONOMETRÍA Y ESTADÍSTICA)
> UPV/EHU Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre, 83 | 48015 BILBAO
> T.: +34 946013732 | F.: +34 946013754
> www.ea3.ehu.es

Sergey