Hello.

It's my first time posting on this list. I hope the issue I am having is
appropriate for this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I want to estimate a simple model with one independent variable using
MLE with a twist.

The twist is the following, the effect of the independent variable (X)
is split into a short run (SR) and a long run (LR) coefficient. My model
thus looks like this:

Y = a + b1*X_LR + e_LR + b2*X_SR + e_SR

where e_LR and e_SR are i.i.d. disturbances. X_LR is a centered moving
average of the independent variable and X_SR is the deviation of the
actual series from its moving average.

The length of the moving average should be determined endogenously, i.e.
in such a way that the likelihood function is maximized.

Now, I am capable of running a basic MLE in Gretl by specifying the
log-likelihood function and the derivatives. However, I am having
troubles with creating the short run and the long run series and in
particular with the endogenous determination of the length of the moving
average.

I have a hunch that I need to iterate the MLE command itself, but I have
no clue how to implement this in a script.

Regards.
--
Johann