1) I think you will find that

vecm 1 1 Z2 Z1 --rc

estimates your system very well.  I dont see the problem.

2) Consider simulating the model in VECM format.  Otherwise I see no
problem with your approach.

3) If the series are not cointegrated then the residuals from the
cointegrating regression may have a stochastic trend -- thus the
specification of the test. Hayashi has a very good account of the
Engle Granger cointegration test.

4) To estimate a vecm one must have determined in advance fro testing
and/or economics the number of cointegrating relationships (or a least
a range for that number).  I would not attach any priority to
programming the maximum number.  In the version on my PC if I try to
enter to large a number of cointegating vectors I get a message
telling me that I have done so and I must correct it before I can
proceed.

Best Regards

John