El 26/03/12 10:10, Daniel Bencik escribió:
> Hello everybody,
>
> first off, thank you all for suggestions.
>
> Riccardo, I know that anything bigger than arma(2,1) is going to be a
> crappy model. Im forecating volatility and arma is one of the options,
> the obviously sloppy one but nevertheless the benchmark and I can prove
> nowehere else than on out of sample that its great fit is just an
> illusion. That's actually the point...
>
> So, the ARMA(6,5)-GARCH(1,1) model with T-distributed residuals in
> Eviews gives estimates which are to be seen at
> http://eubie.sweb.cz/gretl_forum/Eviews_estimation.PNG

I would say this is showing common roots in the AR and MA parts:

The AR roots 0.59+-0.76i are very close to the MA roots 0.60+-0.77i and
the AR roots -0.79+-0.56i are very close to the MA roots -0.78+-0.58i
So I think this is an ARMA(2,1)-GARCH(1,1)

> When I plug in the very same numbers as initial values into my gretl
> code, I get convergence, however, I arrive at different estimates, see
> http://eubie.sweb.cz/gretl_forum/gretl_forum_correct_starting_values.txt

Yes, this seems to be very different. I cannot see now what the problem
may be, but if you try with the ARMA(2,1)-GARCH(1,1) I am sure it will
be easier to detect the problem.

--
Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza
DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÍA APLICADA III (ECONOMETRÍA Y ESTADÍSTICA)