I want to estimate a lad regression on a large dataset with around 35,000
observations.

The lad command crashes due to the large size of the dataset, however I have
found the quantreg seems to use a different algorithm and looks more promising.

It works most of the time (matches results from Matlab and does it very
quickly).

However, I have found it to be quite unstable and in some specifications it
will give me a 'data error'. Unfortunately I can't work out how to dig into the
source of the error. For example, quantreg will work with one of my dummy
variables in, but doesn't work without it!

Interestingly, moving the 'tau' coefficient from 0.5 to 0.500000001 makes the
code work?!?!

Any explanation for this strange behavior and how I could robustify my code?

p.s ols works fine on the dataset

"This message (and any files transmitted with it) are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your system.

This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the
Reserve Bank of New Zealand. If the recipient has any concerns about
the content of this message they should seek alternative confirmation
from the Reserve Bank of New Zealand."