Hi,

I'd like to illustrate for students forecasting for just a few
steps-ahead with simple exponential smoothing.  The filter option allows
for exponential smoothing (the movavg function does the same) but I
can't get a forecast with a forecast graph and forecast errors similar
to what I get with, say, the AR option in modeling.  In particular, if I
have 25 observations, I'd like to set the sample size to the first 20,
do the smoothing, forecast the next 5, graph all 25 along with the 5
forecasted values, and calculate error statistics for the 5 forecasted
values using the 5 hold-out values.  How can I do this?  Is there a
script that would accomplish what I want?  I'd like to also do the same
for a simple moving average.

Thanks,

Walt

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.