On Wed, 26 Dec 2012, Clive Nicholas wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've just joined the list and I'm a brand new user of -gretl-. I've only
> been using it for three days and I must praise the team for delivering a
> highly usable, flexible and interactive package that runs pretty much all
> of the econometric models that I want to fit (and a big, fat users' guide,
> too!) - and for free. Can't say fairer than that.

Glad you like gretl. Welcome to the community!

> I do have one query, however. Following Allison (2009), I'm seeking to
> implement his alternative to the Hausman test after fitting a random
> effects panel model, which he argues has "probably better statistical
> properties" than Hausman.

[...]

> Everything goes to plan until I try to implement step (f). Clicking on the
> Tests tab and then selecting Lingg ear Restrictions, I typed:
>
> b[m_n] = b[d_n]
>
> but I receive a "parse error in 'b[m_n] = b[d_n]'" error message. Deleting
> the spaces either side of the = made no difference. I only got results by
> running:
>
> Restriction set
> 1: b[m_n] - b[d_n] = 0
> 2: b[m_k] - b[d_k] = 0
> 3: b[m_ys] - b[d_ys] = 0

When you write restrictions for the "restrict" command, no coefficients
must appear on the right-hand side of the equality. This is stated in the
documentation.

> Test statistic: F(3, 1016) = 3.27298, with p-value = 0.0205637
>
> This test would appear to comprehensively reject the RE model in favour of
> retaining the FE model. Or does it? Is this an acceptable test in place of
> the Wald test for jointly equal parameters that I can't run in -gretl-?
>

> Since the shape of the F and chi-square distributions are virtually
> identical and we have the obvious mathematical statement that (var1 = var2)
> = (var1 - var2 = 0), is it not acceptable to use the results of this test
> instead to come to the same conclusion? If not, how can I implement the
> Wald test in -gretl-? It must be possible!

Your conclusion seems basically correct to me. In fact, the p-values of
the two variants of the test are virtually the same.

   Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti