On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, Pietro Battiston wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I love Gretl's "foreign" code blocks capability, and would love even
> more the possibility of using Python in them, which was at some time
> suggested as easy to implement.¹
>
> 1) Has there been any development in this direction? If not, was it
> because of lack of time/interest or because of unexpected obstacles in
> the process?

Lack of manpower, I would say. I'm not overly familiar with python,
but it certainly is a language worth supporting.

> 2) In general, could it be feasible to apply structural changes on
> gretl's dataset (i.e. remove/collapse observations) from foreign blocks?
> Or will "append" remain the only reasonable channel of communication
> from foreign blocks to gretl?

No, there's no way to modify the current dataset from a foreign block.
However, you could use the foreign block to write the data you need to
temporary files (as .mat files for matrices, presumably csv files for a
whole dataset) and then, after "end foreign", do a "dataset clear" plus
open/join/append/mread()/whatever you need.

   Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti