On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Sven Schreiber <svetosch(a)gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 28.01.2013 03:17, schrieb Allin Cottrell:
> > 2) We leave it up to the user to import from numpy and/or scipy,
> > with the user's preferred namespace, for more general usage.
>
> The scipy thing is actually also a good reason not to use numpy blindly,
> because a user may want to work with stuff which is only in scipy.

Numpy is a hard dependency of scipy, so I don't think this is really an
issue. Even if I want to work only with, say, scipy.stats, I'm (almost all
the time) going to be using numpy arrays to do so.

> > Point 1) means that gretl's python support depends on the user
> > having numpy installed, but I suppose that really goes without
> > saying: how could you do anything useful in terms of gretl/python
> > interaction without numpy?
>
> Yes; OTOH gretl could try to catch the resulting import error:
>
> <python>
> try:
>    def gretl_loadmat(fname):
>       from numpy import loadtxt
>       dname = gretl_dotdir()
>       M = loadtxt(dname + fname, skiprows=1)
>       return M
> except ImportError:
>    <somehow signal the absence of numpy to gretl>
> </python>

Catching the import error would indeed be nice for users.

Perhaps this is off-topic, but what happens with something like time-series
or panel data?

> >> While I'm at it: I guess that now most of the work needed to also have a
> >> python console running in gretl is done? Let me point out that if that
> >> was the case, it would be great to be able to choose _which_ console to
> >> use (for instance "ipython" instead than simple "python").
> >
> > Hmm. We currently have the ability to edit/run python scripts in the
> > gretl gui (with appropriate syntax highlighting) in the same sort of
> > way as we support Ox programs and R or Octave scripts. As for
> > providing a "console" (by which I understand an interactive
> > command-line interface), I'm not sure that is gretl's job.
>
> I agree, or at least I don't see the use case.

FWIW I tend to agree. As I already mentioned, I think it would be great to
expose the gretl library code to the Python side of things, for those that
prefer to work mainly in Python.

Skipper