Hi all,

yesterday, after having taught my students the HP decomposition, I wondered if I should also tell them that one of the greatest time-series econometricians on Earth recently wrote a rather scathing paper entitled "Why You Should Never Use the Hodrick-Prescott Filter", where he proposes a simple alternative.

So this morning I rustled up a little script with Hamilton's filter. Here it is:

<hansl>
function series hamcycle(series y, bool do_plot[1], string title[null])
    h0 = 2 * $pd
    h1 = h0 + 4
    list PROJ = y(-h0 to -h1)
    ols y 0 PROJ -q
    # ht = $yhat
    hc = $uhat
    if do_plot
        if !exists(title)
            title = argname(y)
        endif
        print title
        diff8 = y - y(-h0)
        setinfo diff8 --graph-name="Random walk"
        setinfo hc --graph-name="Regression"
        list PLT = diff8 hc
        plot PLT
            options time-series with-lines
            literal set linetype 1 lc rgb "#ff0000"
            literal set linetype 2 lc rgb "#000000"
            literal set key top right
            printf "set title '%s'", title
        end plot --output=display
    endif
    return hc
end function

# example

nulldata 300
setobs 4 1947:1

open fedstl.bin
data gdpc1 expgsc1 pcecc96

list Y = gdpc1 expgsc1 pcecc96
LY = logs(Y)
strings Titles = strsplit("GDP Exports Consumption")
k = 1

# reproduce part of figure 6

loop foreach i LY --quiet
    hc = hamcycle($i*100,,Titles[k++])
endloop
</hansl>

Should we turn this into a function package?

  Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
  Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucche...@univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti