On Fri, 23 Oct 2020, ri...@triton.net wrote:

Thank you very much, I kind of thought the problem was something like that.
The new code now generates two errors. They are

1.  Line->      gretl_set_path_by_name("gnuplot", "/usr/bin/gnuplot");
 generates    error: ‘gretl_set_path_by_name’ was not declared in this scope

Ah, I was forgetting that gretl_set_path_by_name is a fairly recent addition to the API: it can be found in gretl 2020c and higher.

2. Line ->     opt |= OPT_U; /* add --plot=<whatever> */
  generates    error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘gretlopt’ [-fpermissive]

Hmm, what's the compiler? OPT_U is a member of the gretlopt enum in libgretl.h so I'm surprised by this objection.

Also for-> opt |= OPT_U;  /* add --plot=<whatever> */

what does OPT_U and all the other OPT_.... mean/stand for. Like is OPT_U=corrgram plot, and OPT_R= Time series plot, or am I just missing how that entire line of code works?

The OPT_* identifiers stand for option flags -- see libgretl.h, and options.c for their translation to strings such as "--plot", for various commands. Specific to this case, in the command-form we might have

corrgm <varname> --plot=display    # show plot on-screen
corrgm <varname> --plot=corrgm.pdf # produce named PDF file

In this case OPT_R is an internal option, meaning that the series in question is the residual from estimation: this only affects some of the strings shown in the output.

Allin