On Sun, 14 Mar 2021, Alecos Papadopoulos wrote:

I need the series "lever" from the "leverage" command inside a loop construct in order to perform some hand-made transformation of OLS residuals.

It appears that I need to run the "leverage" command with the --save flag (and the --quiet flag to avoid printing).

This will save in the data base all three series "lever", "influ" and "dffits" produced by the leverage command.

But this is inside a loop. That will run several thousand of times. I certainly do not want to save these three series thousand of times (as is the consequence of the functionality of the leverage command on the matter, quote, <<However, if series of these names already exist, the names of the newly saved series will be adjusted to ensure uniqueness>>).

I can see that the "ensure unique names" facility is not helpful in this context. In git and snapshots there's now an --overwrite option for the leverage command. The effect is that the same default names will be reused on each iteration.

There may be a few other commands that could benefit from such an option for use within a loop.

Allin