Hello again Dagobert,

At 2023-02-06T09:20:40-0600, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I will look into how easily that may be done.  I don't see anything
> directly on point in the GNU Automake manual[5], so if you can point
> out a working exhibit--preferably one that won't mean having to rename
> 160+ test scripts in Git to have an ".in" suffix--it might help me
> out.

After consulting the Solaris 10 xpg4(5) man page, I've queued up the
following item for the "PROBLEMS" file in the source distribution.

---snip---
* Tests fail when I run "make check" on Solaris 10.

The test suite expects a POSIX-conformant shell and utilities.  Solaris
10 does not offer these in the default $PATH.  We try to use features
standardized no later than POSIX Issue 4 (1994).  Unfortunately even
that is too recent for some implementations.  Solaris 11 is believed to
have a conforming shell.  It may help to ensure that "/usr/xpg6/bin"
and/or "/usr/xpg4/bin" precedes "/bin" and "/usr/bin/" in the $PATH when
building groff.
---end snip---

Can you update your $PATH, re-run "make check", and let me know if that
changes your result?

I don't have any concrete reason to believe that re-running the entire
build with an updated $PATH would make a difference, but if you want to
try that as well, I'd appreciate knowing the outcome.

Regards,
Branden