On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 02:34:27PM -0400, Carlos wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:37:29AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > You're correct. Amazing
> >
> > I can think of some other people who are amazed when I'm right...
> >
> > [snip]
> > > and mandoc is also the formatting part of groff
> >
> > No.  It is a completely independent software project with only slightly
> > overlapping goals.
> >
> > > or else running groff would be useless,
> >
> > I suppose some mandoc(1) advocates regard groff as useless if they never
> > have any need for typesetting.  Or they use a TeX distribution, or
> > Lout...or FrameMaker...
> >
> > > am I wrong? correct me if so.  I'm a bit tired.
> >
> > The history of typesetting software on Unix is lengthy.  When groff
> > 1.23.0 is released, a history I thoroughly revised and updated will be
> > available in the roff(7) man page.
> >
> > > And on groff(7)
> > >
> > >        .mso file The same as .so except that file is searched in the tmac
> > >                  directories.
> > >
> > > and therein lies the problem without a kludge
> > > .mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
> > > .mso never loads man.local producing the unwanted blank page
> > > , .do does instead on 1.22.4 without injecting that blank page
> >
> > I don't understand your complaint.  Also, do you mean ".do" or ".so"?
> > Each is a distinctly meaningful request to groff(1).
>
> No complaint except a blank page for no reason

> man.local.
>
>        .so filename
>                  Include source file.
>        .mso file The same as .so except that file is searched in the tmac
>                  directories.
>

> > Did you ever grep your man.local file for blank lines as I suggested?
>
> I guess you'd be right but that's clearly a tangent where the problem lies
>
> So let's make sure that man.local is not shipped out with a newline.
> I checked 1.23 and it's not there.
>
> I just checked it and is not there.
>

> > Regards,
> > Branden
>

> --
> Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple
> came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It's
> not
> about money. It's about the people you have, how you're led, and how much you
> get it.
>                 -- Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

Sorry Branden. I wouldn't be able to fathom at the remote idea to make
sure that a newline is nowhere to be found on man.local. Let alone
I wouldn't be able to grasp at this most ridoncoluous idea to
document such behavior. It's just embarrassing.

Thank you again.

--
The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.

        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:
        for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
                -- Matthew 5:37