Hi Alex,

At 2023-05-07T20:13:54+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> On 5/7/23 04:20, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'm following the GNU Coding Standards here.
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Errors
>
> Oh yeah, those.  I guess I can't argue much against that practice
> then.  I still haven't burnt a copy of them yet.  :D

This aspect of them seems pretty reasonable to me.  The first space
character separates source and location information (what is
complaining, and about what) from the content of the complaint.

> Heh, I was talking a bit from memory, and I forgot that perror(3) is
> so basic.  In fact, I normally use the err(3) and warn(3) family of
> functions, which are similar to perror, but accept a printf-like
> format string.  err(3) also has exit(3) functionality.
>
> For some reason I wrongly remembered that perror prefixed the output
> with program_invocation_short_name(3), which the BSD functions do.

These aren't standardized so I haven't paid much attention to them.

[snip]
> Maybe the functions shown above can be used to appease your wrath?

On other projects, perhaps.  groff provides a sufficiently rich set[1]
that, apart from adding a "debug()" variant[2], I've found little to
complain about.

(On the other hand, I've found a _lot_ to complain about with respect to
the _content_ of groff's diagnostic messages and the reliability of its
line number counting in source files; groff didn't used to report those
as often, and once this information was exposed, it often proved
inaccurate.)

Regards,
Branden

[1]