Hi Deri & Alexis,

At 2023-08-05T16:36:31+0200, Alexis wrote:
> Thank you for the helpful context, Deri, much appreciated. I checked
> the sources thoroughly, in order to have a good reasoning, but missed
> to read the grodvi sources :/

I would prefer for groff to have internal consistency than compatibility
with TeX in this respect, other things being equal.

> Following the same order, i.e. width,height, to allow the same source
> to run on either dvi or pdf makes a lot of sense; too bad this
> introduces a little inconsistency with other paper format
> specifications.

Yeah. :(

> What are your thoughts about naming the argument for the papersize
> control command `paper-size` to distinguish it from the `paper-format`
> argument of the -p option?

As the person who migrated that metasyntactic variable name to
"paper-format" in the first place, I would approve of changing it again
for grodvi and gropdf's `papersize` device control command.  If it takes
paper dimensions in the order "width,height", then my change in this
instance was incorrect in the first place.

commit 60e3bd7ab36267f82b1b7ae0fc3c3f073ae91843
Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robin...@gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Oct 21 17:56:36 2022 -0500

    Migrate terminology away from "paper size".

    Migrate terminology from "paper size" to "paper format" or "paper
    dimensions" as appropriate in documentation and diagnostic messages.
    "Format" implies an orientation (which can be overridden in many cases)
    whereas size does not.  When only the magnitudes of measurements are at
    issue (mainly for internal purposes), use the term "dimensions".

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=60e3bd7ab36267f82b1b7ae0fc3c3f073ae91843

Deri, I'm happy to apply a corrective documentation change to gropdf(1).
Is that cool with you?  Let me know.

I think it'd be a good idea to explicitly note the order reversal of the
dimensions (probably in grodvi(1) as well).  With a nod to Dave Kemper,
I'll try to do so without using "Note that" to clear my throat.

Regards,
Branden