> I don't know of any other PDF generation tool chain that works that way
> [via PostScript] or regards it as optimal.

Nor do I, but I stick with the PostScript route because it's more flexible.
PostScript can be edited. In particular, I can edit the content of
figures, which I believe is impossible in PDF. One use of this
capability is to overcome a
deficiency in pic: filling polygons. Usually the edit can be captured in sed.

But PostScript seems to be barely hanging on by its fingernails. I
uninstalled my Ghostly .ps reader on one of my computers and have been
unable to reinstall it, due to internal inconsistencies. If anybody
has had recent success installing any PostScript reader on a PC, I'd
like to hear about it.

Doug