At 2024-01-07T10:13:44+0000, Deri wrote:
> Now that Branden has started to incorporate the new gropdf, I
> thought it may help to try to document the dependencies between
> the different file changes. Although the document is produced by
> groff it includes two dot digraph pdfs with just some groff text
> over the top. The digraph data comes from an "in memory" database
> I wrote once, very micky mouse, but useful for displaying
> relationship in a small data set.

Thanks, Deri!  This is really helpful.  Of course the idea is to
invalidate this graph as quickly as we can, but there is already one
stale arc in it (or perhaps a missing arc and node).

The "pdf.tmac" changes necessary to support the `pdfpagenumbering`
convenience macro _are_ merged to master as of a few days ago.  I
therefore cherry-picked "beneath the file level", if you will.  Mainly
because it made sense to do so for this feature.

This graph is really nice because it enables me to find the leaf nodes
and therefore where the most tempting next candidates for
merge/cherry-picking are.

And sure enough it appears that the "stringhex" feature is most remote
leaf I need to be looking at, so I'll be needing to put some brain
cycles into what I think a good alternative would be.

Regards,
Branden