> Note that there is no SS for 'devpdf'. So, from where does
> -Tpdf find (or construct) the slanted versions of the Greek
> letters if the standard symbol font has upright Greek letters?
> Or are the two 'S' fonts different for -Tpdf and -Tps?

In the current groff release, the slanted Greek characters
are constructed from the characters in the standard Symbol
font using .char in pdf.tmac:

  .char \[*a] \S'16'\[*a]\S'0'
  (etc.)
  [note special anti-recursion feature of .char]

but since the font metrics are not adapted this has some
spacing issues.

For the upcoming release I believe Deri has provided a real PFB
font file containing the slanted font plus the corresponding
font metrics file "SS" which will resolve these issues.
(Discussion on this list from June 2023.)