At 2024-02-05T13:11:04-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 2/5/24, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as I know, groff has never extended AT&T troff syntax in _this_
> > respect.
> >
> > The argument count to requests (unlike macros) is seemingly sacrosanct.
>
> Groff extended the .ss request by adding an optional second parameter
> where AT&T's took only one.  It's not exactly the same situation, but
> would seem to cross the same minefield.

Fair!  I forgot about this.  Before posting, I scanned down the request
list in groff(7) to protect myself from embarrassment--uselessly.

Witness the power of Cunningham's Law.

I'm still not sure extending `ns` is the right idea, but my biggest
objection appears to have evaporated, unless we expect that way more
people use `ns` than `ss`,[1] and that we'll unleash havoc with this
extension where `ss` did not.

An alternative would be to have a new "alternate" no-space mode macro,
probably named "ns1" (another naming convention I really dislike, but am
hard pressed to improve upon).

I'm not sure which I like less.

Regards,
Branden

[1] I suspect more _macro packages_ do.  Does it matter?  I don't know.