Hi Branden,

I notice that when I build groff(1) from source, it gets its version
from git(1), and if the repository is dirty (has modifications on top of
the last commit), the version string has a "-dirty" suffix.

I was wondering how you get the version string, because I'd like to use
that "-dirty" suffix in the Linux man-pages too.  Currently, I'm doing:

        $ grep -rh ^DISTVERSION.*= share/mk/
        DISTVERSION := $(patsubst man-pages-%,%,$(DISTNAME))
        $ grep -rh ^DISTNAME.*= share/mk/
        DISTNAME    := $(shell $(GIT) describe)

which results in the following version string:

        $ make nothing -p | grep ^DISTVERSION.*=
        DISTVERSION := 6.06-25-g9af39fc94

even with a dirty repository.

So, how do you get that "-dirty" suffix?  Is it autotools?  Or git?  Or
is it specific to the groff build system?  I could use some shell code
in the makefile to get it, but was asking mainly in case git already
gives that somehow.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
Looking for a remote C programming job at the moment.