Hi John,

At 2024-02-28T07:26:21+1100, John Gardner wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> Wouldn't this conflict with behaviour documented in groff_tmac(5)? From the
> section *"Inclusion"* (emphasis mine):

Very much so, which is why I am submitting the proposal to this mailing
list for feedback/assent/things I haven't thought of.

Generally, I float "feature changes" (the name we have for them in
Savannah) to the list before undertaking them.  As I see it, these are
things where we have to change existing documentation and/or update the
NEWS file.

Sometimes a change has a bugfix/behavior-change duality, and there is an
observer effect.  For example, here's a recent change I made to groff
mm.

NEWS:
o The m (mm) macro package's `DS` macro now interprets its third
  argument (a right-hand indentation) in ens by default, for consistency
  with the rest of the package.  This is a difference from DWB mm (which
  passed the value unprocessed to the `ll` request, which itself uses
  ems), and groff mm's own historical behavior, which used basic units.

I figured that shifting from one AT&T incompatibility to a different
incompatibility, but one which made the package more self-consistent
(more so than DWB 3.3 mm itself was, in fact) would probably not get me
dragged through the streets in chains.

> I'm normally averse to changing documented behaviour without a
> compelling motivation to do so; however, I admit that falling back on
> tmac.s when s.tmac isn't found is rather unintuitive behaviour, and it
> doesn't strike me as wise to mix modern Groff extensions with AT&T-era
> warts. So I'm leaning tentatively in favour of this change.

Cool.  Thanks.  I'll give it a few more days to percolate and gather
objections, if any.

Regards,
Branden