At 2024-03-08T10:34:39-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 3/8/24, ropers <rop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The thing I've given up on was figuring out how to preview my
> > edits to groff.texi
>
> This took me a while to figure out at first too, and the procedure
> gained an extra step since that time (when groff.texi was converted to
> groff.texi.in to require preprocessing) so it's harder to figure out
> today: a simple "makeinfo" on the .in file returns errors, and the
> novice won't know whether that's his fault or the file's.  Anyway,
> here's what I currently use as a quick-n-dirty previewer:
>
> sed s/@VERSION@/VERSION/ groff.texi.in | makeinfo --plaintext | less
>
> This loses all the info-ey aspects of it (to me, a plus), but shows
> you all the text in a formatted state.

Sorry for the recent extra complication; it didn't occur to me that
people wouldn't just have make(1) generate the real thing.

$ make -C build doc/groff.txt
make: Entering directory '.../groff/build'
  GEN      doc/groff.txt
make: Leaving directory '.../groff/build'
$ less build/doc/groff.txt

Regards,
Branden