I've only half paid attention to this thread so if this has been mentioned,
sorry.  I vaguely remember something like this:

.\" $ROFF -s -t $FILES

Near the top of the file and then there was a roff script that grepped out
that line, set ROFF to groff, FILE to $* and execed that sequence.

It's not perfect because of multiple files but I think I could write a
script where you said

roff *.ms

and it would look through all the files, building a list, search each for
for the $ROFF command and ran that.

I believe this fell out of favor because make(1) is just a more solid
answer but if people want me to take a stab at it, I'll give it a go
with my boomer brain.

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat