> Which would be better?
>
> 1.  Change GNU troff to not write out a hyphen if the
>     hyphenation control escape sequence is at the end
>     of the word.
>
> 2.  Change GNU troff to not reënable automatic
>     hyphenation after encountering a non-initial
>     hyphenation control escape sequence in a word.

I think 1 is impractical.  I favor 2, and I have the feeling
that groff's current behavior wasn't intended.  I think the
simple rule "if the word contains one or more occurrences of
"\%", then hyphenation is allowed exclusively at these points"
is easier to follow and remember.

Here's another empirical observation:
Suppose we have an "enquote" macro,

  .de QQ
  ..

and we want to suppress hyphenation in the quoted word,
then both

.QQ \&\%antidisestablishmentarianism

and

.QQ antidisestablishmentarianism\&\%

work, but the "\&" is needed in both cases.

> reënable

Nice!  Like "coördinates".