Branden,

Em qua., 15 de mai. de 2024 às 15:47, G. Branden Robinson
<g.branden.robin...@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Hi Bento,
>
> It seems that this behavior is for compatibility with DWB mm.

Oh, Documenter's Workbench... I'm reading this Apple manual I found in
this very mailing list:

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/apple/mac/a_ux/aux_2.0/030-0761-A_AUX_Text_Processing_Tools_1990.pdf

its last chapter mentions some tools like spell, style and diction, I
guess they come from this package?
Unless I find them, I'll have to find deroff or unroff to check my
grammar using some other tool!

> But I wouldn't worry about it.  Whoever is evaluating your paper will
> likely never notice that you failed to set the indentation to 1.27cm.
>
> I explain why in the attached mm document, with renderings from DWB 3.3
> mm and groff mm.

This helps a lot! Groff also warns about "cannot break line" when
setting 1.27c directly in your document, but when dividing by 1n and
using the default, it works perfectly! I was about to try me, but I
can now continue with mm :)

> > This is not really a question, let's say I'm just chatting and
> > speaking my thoughts out loud! I'm open to suggestions and directions
> > hehe.
>
> My advice is to not bother setting the register `Pi`, for the reason
> explained in the document.
>
> But maybe that was hard in this case (and if so, likely others in mm--it
> uses _lots_ of registers), since Pi is just a "dumb register"; its value
> is converted to basic units as soon as it is assigned to, and the
> formatter has no way of knowing what scaling unit was applied by the
> user at the time it was assigned.
>
> The memorandum macros have a strong bias in favor of ens for all
> horizontal measurements and vees for all vertical ones.  Perhaps
> amusingly, I recently changed GNU mm to be even more rigid about this.

hmmm I'll keep all that in mind then!

Best regards,
Bento