Thanks, Justin, for the quick response. Yes, I can see what to change in gmxlib/bondfree.c

Best wishes

Peter

On 3/11/14, 7:27 AM, Peter Hamm wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to set up a slightly modified version of swm4-ndp water with
anisotropic polarizibility. In contrast to sw-water, where the Drude (shell) particle is connected to a dummy particle, it is connected to the oxygen in
swm4-ndp. In sw.itp, ananisotropic polarizibility is defined by:

[ water_polarization ]
; See notes above. Alphas in nm^3 (See ref. above)
; O H H D S funct  al_x  al_y     al_z          rOH     rHH rOD
1 2 3 4 5 1 0.001415 0.001528 0.001468 0.09572 0.15139 0.0137408

I guess, the "4 5" means that the Drude particle (5) is connected to the dummy
particle  (4). I therefore changed it to

[ water_polarization ]
O H H D S funct  al_x      al_y      al_z             rOH rHH     rOD
1 2 3 1 5 1 0.0010583 0.0011435 0.0010975 0.09572 0.15139 0.0257788

so that Drude particle (5) is now connected to the oxygen (1). This however
generates a warning in grompp:

"WARNING 1 [file swm4-ndp-mod.top, line 33]: Duplicate atom index (1) in
water_polarization"

You've repeated atom number 1, which the code is interpreting as both a Drude and the oxygen atom.

My question: Is [ water_polarization ] specific for sw-water with the shell particle necessarily connected to the dummy particle, or, can I ignore the warning, or, is there another syntax to do what I want to do (i couldn't find
any real description of the syntax of [ water_polarization ]).

Best wishes, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer

The topology format and the code itself for water polarization is specific to the setup of the SW model. I have been working on generalizing the shell/Drude code for a while now, and the introduction of general anisotropy is not difficult to do, though my implementation is largely untested and therefore not suitable for the public just yet. The code in gmxlib/bondfree.c (water_pol function) can be easily modified.

-Justin