On 8/20/14, 6:33 AM, Dawid das wrote:
Dear Gromacs experts,

I googled for answer and I found these:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations
http://www.researchgate.net/post/How_to_extend_the_protein_simulation_in_Gromacs_from_1000_ps_to_10000_ps

but still I am confused about what happens in my simulation. I did 5 ns
simulation and I would like to add extra 5 ns on top of that so that new
results (energies, temperature, trajectory, etc.) will be appended to
already existing files after first 5 ns simulation. Now I used this command
to run MD simulation for the first time:

\$MDRUN -v -s npt-md.tpr -o mCherry7-npt-md.trr -c mCherry7-npt-md.gro -e
mCherry7-npt-md.edr > $CURDIR/mCherry7-npt-md.log 2>&1

After this in the same directory I run:

tpbconv -s npt-md.tpr -extend 5000 -o npt-md-ext.tpr
\$MDRUN -s npt-md-ext.tpr -cpi state.cpt

I tried both state.cpt and prev_state.cpt and the beginning of new
simulation looks exactly the same

that means temperature, energies, etc. are the same as if I started
from 0ns step, not from 5ns step of

previous simulation. What can cause that? Is it because of used files
names or I did something else wrong?

What does the .log file say? It should clearly indicate if the restart was done by reading in the checkpoint file.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy